Career

Supporting Local Business for Holiday Shopping in 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

With Toronto and Peel moving back into lockdown, it is an important reminder that under COVID restrictions, businesses can be shut down in order to protect the health of the community. It is easy to turn to websites such as Amazon for your Christmas shopping for your family, but there are many local businesses providing the same goods who need our support. Therefore, I wanted to provide some of my favourite local Kingston businesses which have amazing gifts for all your holiday shopping needs, and it feels good to support local! 

For the Jewelry Lover:

One of my favourite jewelry stores in Kingston is located on Princess street, called Modern Primitive. They have amazing prices, with rings ranging from $10-35, sterling silver earrings from $8 a pair, and high quality necklaces and bracelets galore. They also sell other items such as tapestries, crystals, headbands, scrunchies, and clothing! It is so reasonably priced that you can pick up multiple pieces and not hurt your bank account. 

For the Board Game Fanatic

I have absolutely loved playing board games and card games while spending more time at home as a way to connect with my family and friends. Minotaur is the place to go for all things crafts and games. They have an insane selection of board games (strategy, party games, you name it!) along with tons of puzzles and craft supplies. This is the perfect place to go if you want something that the whole family can engage with over the holiday break. 

For the Plant Parent

Located at 171 Wellington Street, the Jungle is a little hideaway filled with plants as far as the eye can see. They have a huge assortment big and small, from Monsteras to ferns to snake plants, there is something for every plant lover here. They also sell plants that are 100% pet safe if you have a furry friend at home! 

For the Skater

If you have someone who skateboards in your life, look no further than BSE Skate Shop. With a beautiful store located on Princess Street, they have tons of stuff for the skater in your life. Even if you don’t know anyone who skates, they have a large selection of clothing items that anyone can wear. Plus, you can pick up a delicious oat milk latte (my favourite) at their coffee bar while you’re shopping. A win, win for everyone! 

For the Bookworm

Bookland on Princess is an amazing alternative to Indigo for the holiday season. They have a wide selection of both fiction and non-fiction books, as well as planners, cookbooks, gardening books and magazines. While it might be easy to order something online from Indigo, this store is only a short walk away from student housing and you can know you’re supporting a local business in the process! 

For those who prefer Vinyl

There are multiple records stores in Kingston to choose from for anyone you know who likes vinyl. Brian’s records have a multitude of different genres at amazing prices, and he has other gifts such as posters! Something Else Records is a little further down the way, but has a great curated selection for any genre of music. Finally, if you can’t find what you need at these places, look no further than Zap Records for all your vinyl gift needs.

For the Foodie

There are a multitude of local restaurants in Kingston that we can support during the holiday time! Fun fact, Kingston has the highest number of restaurants per capita. Look up whatever kind of cuisine type you like on Google to find local restaurants and see if they have a gift certificate, or take them there and pay for their meal! 

These are just a few examples of the businesses you can support this holiday season. Remember to use Google to check if there is a business in your area you can support before turning to online sources!

Eirinn Chisholm

Queen's U '21

My name is Eirinn and I'm 21 years old. Thank you for checking out my writing here on Her Campus :)
HC Queen's U contributor