Sochi 2014: Getting Real Emotional about Team Canada

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Here’s a confession: I kind of live for the Olympics. I am not a casual observer of these things people, the Olympics are my Stanley cup but they only come around every two years, and the Winter (MY FAVOURITE) Olympics once every four years. So, you can say that I have sufficient time to build up my excitement levels. I start getting emotional when the media starts arriving guys. It’s a really emotional time for me.

The Games started off with a lot of jokes about Sochi’s poor state of things and made the hashtag #sochiproblems famous. One poor athlete got stuck in a bathroom, broke himself out, and then got stuck in an elevator.

So first Mark McMorris won Canada’s first medal – the best bronze medal – and the world simultaneously fell in love with this cutie from Saskatchewan because he competed on a BROKEN RIB. You heard that. I did too. And then got real upset about it because it’s a judged sport, and judged sports are real painful to my heart. So now I’m convinced that flinging myself off mountains and attempting to land on a board on the snow is a fantastic idea. Thanks McMorris.

BUT LOOK AT THAT FACE. YOU TELL ME THAT’S NOT A GOLD MEDAL WORTHY FACE. (Also he did two triple corks people – count ‘em! Two! This is really impressive in the world of slopestyle snowboarding.)

And then Charles Hamelin won gold in an event he wasn’t even a favourite in. And recreated Vancouver cuteness with his equally fabulous girlfriend, Marianne St. Gelais who won a silver in the team relay.

And then Alex Bilodeau defended his gold from Vancouver! And he and his brother made us all cry. 

And then we cried some more, when sisters Justine and Chloe Dufour-Lapointe ended up 1-2 in women’s ski cross moguls.

And then Gilmore Junio gave up his place to Denny Morrison who had been having a hard year because he though Denny would perform better and then DENNY WON AN UNEXPECTED SILVER MEDAL!!! After being very capable but having two less-than-ideal showings Denny ended up winning two medals at Sochi. And then the Junio family had Denny over for dinner.

So I’m feeling pretty good about now:

And then Russia won the team event in figure skating and they were real happy and real cute about it, and team Canada won silver and were the cutest.

Patrick Chan, our gold-medal favourite, didn’t have the greatest long program but won silver! But then like all Canadians, apologised and I cried about it (are we sensing a trend here?). Japan got its first male figure skating champion who set a world record in the short and had the cutest reactions.

And then my favourite ice dancers, Canada’s Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue won silver, even though they should have won gold. No, seriously, there were talks of a judging scandal and everything but they handled with grace and cuteness. (The whole world knows they’re in love … except them … but they totally know it too).

But then Charles Hamelin fell in the events he was a favourite to win gold in. We were sad, but he’s still got a gold medal to console him. And then we had a gold medal drought. 

But then we won the Canada and US game and the whole country got real excited:

And then Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse won a gold medal breaking our drought! And then the women had a ridiculously awesome third period, tied it, and then won the gold medal! And then our curling teams (BOTH) won gold and our women’s curling team became the only undefeated curling team in history! Our ladies brought it! 

And then we capped it off with a gold medal win in hockey. As we do.

And then Sochi made fun of it’s Olympics ring malfunction and we all laughed.

(albeit a little nervously) 

and so, from sochi, with love i bid you adieu on this little gif journey!

Hana Hasin

Queen's U

HC Queen's U contributor