Shows You Missed While You Were Watching Riverdale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Even those who don’t have much time to spend on watching television series, or perhaps don’t often find themselves interested, still hear of the several that blow up to epic proportions due to word of mouth, bandwagon-ing, etc. If you feel like watching something new and have already finished the newest season of Black Mirror, these may be for you. Additionally, there are only a couple of seasons available and therefore not too many episodes to catch up on. Here are several show recommendations that are low-key enough that you wouldn’t see half the campus population wearing Halloween costumes based on their characters (at least, for now), but are definitely worth the watch. 

1. This Is Us

I mean, it’s not obscure – in fact, it’s likely you’ve already heard of this one. However, I still consider it far too underrated considering its quality because although many know of the title, not too many people have jumped on board and actually committed to watching it. And if you haven’t given it a fair shot, you are missing out because it is SO. GOOD. Not just because of the great acting from the entire cast (Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia are my favourites) and impeccable storytelling, but because of how real the characters and their struggles feel. No cringe-y, tween romantic triangle drama – what you get are interweaving plots that reveal insightful life lessons that make you appreciate your family.

2. The Good Place

Kristen Bell as the female protagonist alone is a solid reason to give The Good Place a whirl. It’s a quick-witted comedy depicting a morally questionable girl’s transition into the strange afterlife realm where she finds herself mistakenly placed in The Good Place. It sounds a bit odd and dark at first glance, but trust me, once you start, you cannot stop. This is the kind of show that flows from one episode to the next so smoothly and seamlessly that you fly through the whole season without even fully understanding how it happened. The episodes are less than half an hour long, so they don’t eat up too much time, and the creativity in the humour leaves you appreciative of a show that doesn’t rely on cheap laugh tracks to be funny. 

3. The Crown 

Both of the two previously mentioned shows differ quite significantly from each other in mood and tone, and this third one also decidedly stands alone, because The Crown is a historical drama following the reign of Queen Elizabeth II. Some people are immediately put off by the historical genre, but there is nothing inherently boring about The Crown. Not only is it so beautifully shot that the show is pure art, but showing the queen as more than just a monarch figurehead is very powerful: she is portrayed as a woman, a daughter, a sister. You’d be surprised but how invested you become in her trials and tribulations. If you need a little more convincing, it won the 2017 Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Drama.