Settling K-Town’s Greatest Debates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Throughout one’s years at Queen’s, every student will develop strong opinions about Kingston establishments. For topics from libraries to bars, there are infinite debates around campus about who’s favorite is truly the best. Therefore, I decided to settle the Top 5 Debates in Kingston, at least in my opinion (which is the right opinion).

1. Bars: Ale House vs. Stages

Winner: ALE HOUSE

Starting off with the biggest debate here at Queen’s, Ale comes out victorious. Unless you’re solely into EDM music, the music at Ale is by far better than the music at Stages, as there is a variety between current hits and throwbacks, rap and dance music, pop and hip-hop and more. Ale also has steady crowds most weekend nights, unlike Stages, where I have found that it is either completely empty or so crowded that you are unable to move. And with Canteen attached to Ale, it has never been easier to grab some drunchies right after the bars!

2. Study Spots: Stauffer Library vs. Douglas Library

Winner: DOUGLAS

On a more academic note, Stauffer vs. Douglas is another heated debate here at Queen’s. Although Stauffer wins in size, Douglas racks up points for its open and bright design, compared to Stauffer’s dark and claustrophobic one. The Douglas reading room (aka the “Harry Potter Reading Room”) is what really seals the win for Douglas, as the high ceilings and gorgeous stained glass windows make for a relaxing study spot.

3. Drunchies: Pizza Pizza vs Smoke’s Poutinerie

Winner: PIZZA PIZZA

Located right in the hub, Smoke’s and Pizza Pizza are the two biggest food destinations after a night out. Although Smoke’s makes a great poutine, the atmosphere of Pizza Pizza makes it the clear winner here. On any given night out, I honestly think that I see more people at Pizza Pizza in the 20 minutes that I’m there than the hours I spent out at the bars before. With its location on the corner of Princess and Division, Pizza Pizza is in the middle of the hub, and surrounding glass windows make it easy to spot your friends or look for a cab while staying warm inside munching on a slice (or two) of pizza.

4. Place to Spend all of Your Meal Equivalencies: Location 21 or The Lazy Scholar

Winner: LOCATION 21

Although Lazy’s is the go to late night snack spot for underaged frosh, Loco wins due to its wider variety of options. If you are trying to stay on the healthy side, the sandwiches and build-your-own salads cannot be beat. Grill options such as chicken burgers, all day breakfasts, club sandwiches, and yes, even 4-pieces are sure to satisfy any craving.

5. Morning After Breakfast: Tommy’s or Morrison’s

Winner: TOMMY’S

Don’t get me wrong, I love Morrison’s. The fact that I can walk out of Morrison’s after ordering a ginormous pancake, coffee, and an egg, and spend less than $7 is truly amazing. However, Tommy’s is the overall winner in this category. With a retro aesthetic and chatty, outgoing waiters and waitresses, Tommy’s has great vibes all around. Everyone in your brunch squad will find something they love here, from salads (consider kicking someone out of your brunch squad if they even consider ordering a salad at brunch) to loaded burgers, eggs benedict to crazy sandwiches, french toast to perogies, Tommy’s truly has it all. Even with such a wide variety of options, Tommy’s still manages to nail every dish no matter what.

Out here living my best life