This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Welcome to the world of romance novels and all of the spice. Why are romance novels not held on the same pedestal as any other genre or more specifically, erotica novels? People are quick to judge and label this literary genre as cheap and dirty. Well, the latter may be true in some cases however, the former is unfair. Let’s call it spade to spade. These authors are eliciting pleasure with ink on paper without any touch and that is a talent if you ask me. However, beyond being sexually liberating, these are novels like any other, consisting of major plot lines, characters with depth, and exciting thrills bringing you in for more.

There are obviously some erotic romances which aren’t written to the greatest liking; However, this could be said for any genre. There are countless books that will either be well liked or be a complete flop. Thus, why is one whole genre deemed trash? I say give spicy romance a chance and you might just enjoy it more than you expect. 

Here are the reasons why erotic novels should be given more credit. 

Woman reading a book in bedroom
Photo by Kinga Cichewicz from Unsplash

Sexual Liberation

Erotic novels are a positive way to explore human sexuality with yourself and your partner(s). As displays of sex have become so explicit in our culture, some people may prefer to turn to a book to explore parts of their sexuality. Erotic literature allows you to open your mind to many different sexual experiences before, or even never, partaking in them. It is also a piece of literature which has a focus on exploring one’s own sexual identity. However, it also expands our notions of sex from a limited definition of sexuality. Sexuality can be whatever you want it to be and erotica can help you find exactly what that is.

Erotic novels are a great way to enhance self-confidence, practice self-love and further personal growth. Owning your own sexuality is powerful and liberating. There is a stigma, primarily for self-identifying females, to maintain self-restraint against sexuality. However, long gone are the times where this ‘standard’ is an expectation. If you want to explore your sexuality, then do it. There is nothing vulgar about being in touch with your body and knowing exactly what you like or want.

A Sweet Relief 

Your heart’s beating fast. Your face flushes red. Your breath races. Your muscles tense and twitch. These are signs of sexual arousal but they can also be signs of a panic attack. Essentially, you can interrupt your feelings of stress or anxiety with something that produces a similar physical response. By doing this, it will provide you with more positive feelings. Before picking up an erotic novel, your racing heart might seem scary, however afterwards it can be seen as just arousal. Erotic literature turns negative sensations into positive ones. It allows individuals to remove their thoughts from stressful one and provides a sweet relief in its place.

woman lying on brown rug holding red roses
David Fanuel/Unsplash

Steamy Recommendations

These are only three of the many authors and types of steamy romances out there.

Bella Andre–Bella Andre is a great pick if you are just beginning to delve into erotic romance. There are many novels in this series which you will be happy with and believe me when I say once you start you won’t want it to stop. The beginning of the series starts with the San Francisco Sullivans and consists of a family tree with 6 brothers and 2 sisters. Through each book you are taken through the love story of each sibling and see how their story unveils. Check these out if you want to read about a hot fireman, baseball player, mechanic, etc.

J.R Ward–J.R. Ward is a steamy choice if you are wanting to step into the fantasy erotica. Black Dagger Brotherhood is a difficult series to put down. Black Dagger Brotherhood are a group of warrior vampires who protect their race against the Lessers. It is packed with action, sex, and fantasy. Foremost, if you ever enjoyed the thought of Damon Salvatore as your lover, then this vampire series is the one for you.

Lilly Atlas–Lilly Atlas has created steamy romance within a biker gang world through the Hell’s Handlers MC series. If the idea of riding on a Harley gets you going then start reading! These are also available on Kindle Unlimited.

Enjoy the steamy romance!

Erica Labriola

Queen's U '21

Erica Labriola is studying English Literature and Psychology at Queen’s University. She loves reading, F.R.I.E.N.D.S, and oat matcha lattes (with extra vanilla).
HC Queen's U contributor