This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

I used to completely overlook positive affirmations. That is, until I started coming across quotes and sayings that I would constantly repeat in my head. I know it sounds ridiculous but the more you say something to yourself, the more you believe it. Confidence is not about being the most attractive, the smartest, the richest, or the most liked. Real confidence is a mindset. 

You must first recognize that not all thoughts are facts. However, when you think about them enough, they become your reality. So when you consistently tell yourself that you are unattractive, dumb, or lazy, you will believe those things. 

When you begin to tell yourself that you are attractive, smart, and confident, your behaviour changes to reflect these traits. People notice this and that is what they are drawn to. 

An affirmation that plays through a loop in my head was something my mom sent to me years ago: “Remember who the fuck you are”

This saying is so simple, yet so powerful to me. There are 7.8 billion people in this world and YOU are the only YOU that exists. If I don’t wake up everyday and choose to be myself, then I am doing myself and those around me a disservice. 

Try saying to yourself every morning: “Remember who the fuck you are. I am (insert name) and there is no one else like me. No one can take that away from me.”

Decor for zodiac
Photo by Timothy Paule II from Pexels

Being you is powerful. You have a set of unique experiences that you carry with you that no one else can say they have experienced.

Start putting real meaning and worth behind your name. When you do this, you are remembering who the fuck you are. You start setting standards for yourself and standards for other people. 

Everyday you should make the conscious effort to remember who the fuck you are and why that is important. When you start remembering who the fuck you are, no one can take that away from you, no matter how hard they may try. 

I promise that doing this has changed my outlook on myself and my life. I hope it changes yours too. Goodluck x

Alexandra is a fourth year student majoring in Sociology at Queen's University. She is also the president of a club on campus that she is passionate about; Girls Inc. at Queen's. She hopes her writing helps others as much as it helps her! 
HC Queen's U contributor