This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Even though everyone is bombarded with academic readings from their classes, I believe there is still importance in taking time to read leisurely throughout the school year. As an English major I may be biased to say this, but I feel like while watching Netflix and scrolling through social media might be a more typical use of free time, there are many benefits in taking time to read for leisure. Reading for leisure is an excellent way to relax while also enriching your mind with fascinating narratives, prose and learning about life experiences that would otherwise remain foreign to you. It can also help to maintain a sense of focus and alertness: rather than mindlessly consuming online platforms in your spare time, you can continue to exercise your attention span. In doing so, you’ll feel rejuvenated and motivated to be productive when you return to your academic work. Although there’s nothing wrong with binging YouTube videos or a TV series (I do it too) during your downtime, I find I always feel much more at peace after reading than I do after scrolling through Instagram.

What, How and When you choose to read is up to you. With classes being entirely online, you not only have the freedom to cater your schedule to when you want to work, but when you don’t want to work. Here are some tips I’ve used to help me to determine how to dedicate time for myself to read leisurely, how to choose what to read and also some of my book recommendations.

Choose a book that actually interests you

This may sound obvious, but it’s often easy to gravitate towards books solely because we think we should be reading it, whether because it is popular or critically acclaimed. While War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy is a canonical literary work that your professors might praise, reading 1225 pages of dense Russian literature might not be what you want to do in your spare time amongst academic readings. On the other hand, you might see Rupi Kaur’s poetry books being raved about on everyone’s Instagram story but one glance at her actual work and you feel like you’re looking at pedantic writing. Choose books that actually spark your curiosity rather than trying to read texts merely because they may make you feel smarter or because everyone else is reading it.

Turn your phone off while reading

If you’re trying to read but are constantly being interrupted by notifications going off, chances are you’re going to close your book and look at your messages or social media. Whether you want to read for 30 minutes or an hour, turning off your phone or putting it on silent for that duration of time can help tremendously in maintaining focus on the text in front of you.

If you can, separate the environment of where you read from where you work

As your physical and mental cues correspond with each other, reading for leisure at the desk you do academic work at can trick your mind into thinking you are doing coursework, and in turn make reading for yourself seem like a chore and not as a means to relax. If you’re able to, create boundaries between the space that you do homework in and where you read leisurely so that your mind is able to fully engross itself into the tasks you do in each environment.

Plan your day in advance

Knowing how much time you can afford to engage in leisure activities can not only help in figuring out when you can read, but I find it also gives you peace of mind. It will alleviate any stress or guilt you may feel in taking time to do something for yourself as you are able to maintain a balance between school work and leisure activities.

Read with friends or join a book club

It can be beneficial to read a book with friends so that you hold each other accountable, while also having time to bond over something outside of course work. There are also countless virtual book clubs you can join that may have weekly and monthly meetings to discuss texts, which is a great way to not only incorporate time for leisure reading but to meet like-minded people.

Book Recommendations

If you are unsure of where to find suggestions or of what type of book you want to read (depending on your mood, attention span or volume of your coursework) I have gathered some recommendations –– both fiction and non-fiction –– to fit a variety of different preferences you might have!  

If you want something short…

Goodbye Vitamin by Rachel Khong

Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke

Franny & Zooey by J.D. Salinger

Books v. Cigarettes by George Orwell

If you want a collection of thought-provoking essays or short stories…

Too Much and Not the Mood: Essays by Durga Chew-Bose

When Watched: Stories by Leopoldine Core

Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed

You Know You Want This: “Cat Person” and Other Stories by Kirsten Roupenian

If you want a good memoir…

Know My Name by Chanel Miller

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

In Pieces by Sally Field

Three Women by Lisa Taddeo

Just Kids by Patti Smith

If you want a book that will make you think about it weeks after finishing…

My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Normal People by Sally Rooney

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Severance by Ling Ma

Rachel Riddell

Queen's U '23

Rachel Riddell is an English major and History minor at Queen's University.
HC Queen's U contributor