Puppuccinos: Coming to a Starbucks Near You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

You have to admit, posting pictures of your Venti Caramel Frappuccino is sooo last year.  That’s why there’s a new drink in town, and it’s definitely Instagrammable material.  

If you haven’t been on Insta in a while, or if you prefer to buy your morning coffee at Tim Hortons, you’re missing out on grabbing a Puppuccino for your furry friend.  

Puppuccinos, sold exclusively at Starbucks, have become a serious craze in the past few months. Starbucks baristas claim that Puppuccinos are actually just whipped cream in a cup, but it’s not surprising that pups are OBSESSED with these fancy new drinks.  Puppuccinos are free at some Starbucks locations, but don’t be surprised if a barista charges you a dollar or two… it all depends on the location and who’s working that day! 

I’m not going to lie, you may feel a bit awkward asking Starbucks baristas for a Puppuccino. Puppuccinos aren’t on the Starbucks regular menu because they’re considered Secret Menu items. Most baristas will know what you’re talking about when you ask for a Puppuccino, but if they give you a strange look, clarify that you’re asking for a few scoops of whipped cream in an espresso-sized cup. Even if they raise their eyebrows and question your strange and child-like request, everything will make sense when they see your pup devouring their new treat! 

In 2019, influencers started posting pictures of their pups inhaling Starbucks Puppuccinos, and the hashtag #puppuccino went viral. With over 100K posts on Instagram, #puppuccino is now one of the most used hashtags for dog accounts. If you want your dog to become Insta famous, or a ‘pupfluencer’, you’ll need to set up your Puppuccino shot strategically. To take a really cute pic, wait until your furry friend finishes their drink and then snap a picture of their milk moustache. I can guarantee that it’ll melt your followers’ hearts!

Because of the convenience, ordering Starbucks drinks online will continue to increase in popularity in 2020. Some customers wonder whether they’ll be able to order Puppuccinos on the app, but Starbucks isn’t planning on adding a Puppuccino drink to their website. Guess you’ll have to trek a whole two minutes to the closest Starbucks:)

Because of the high-sugar content, some customers wonder whether Puppuccinos could make their pups have an upset tummy. There’s no evidence to prove that Puppuccinos will be detrimental to your pet’s health in the long run, but if your pup has digestive problems, feeding them sugar in the cup is probably not the best idea!

Even if you’re skeptical about the whole Puppuccino trend, treating your dog to a Puppuccino once in a while definitely won’t hurt. 

So… See you at Starbucks?

XO.

Julia Sable

Queen's U '21

Julia Sable is a fifth year student at Queen's University. She is passionate about writing and hopes to pursue a career in fashion.
HC Queen's U contributor