The Power of Podcasts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Music is great. We all love listening to it, and there’s really nothing that can quite replace the role of music in our lives.

At the same time, however, opening ourselves up to new experiences is an incredibly enlightening way to make room for personal growth. So, if you’re looking to try something new, look no further: podcasts are an entirely underrated genre of entertainment.

I first discovered how addictive and fascinating podcasts could be last summer, on my two-hour commutes to work every morning and evening. Though I listened almost exclusively to songs for the first few weeks, I began to grow old of the same favoured tracks and longed for a change. That’s when I added podcast episodes into the rotation.

Of course, everyone’s heard of what they are, and they’ve certainly been around for a while. That being said, I was never particularly interested until I was forced to really consider them – and I am so glad that I did. There are podcasts of literally every kind, with completely different tones and moods.

If you’re someone who enjoys listening to uplifting, motivational advice: check out TED Talks Daily, the MINDSET ZONE, or The Daily Boost.  

If you want to hear insightful commentary on modern day issues, romance, feminism, and heartbreak: try Dear Sugars (this one can get quite serious and heavy, but it is fairly renowned for its sensitive handling of touchy and raw subjects) and Ladies Who Lunch.

The Jenna & Julien Podcast is a solid choice for if you’re walking to class and just want a genuine laugh.

And if you would rather spend that time studying? Podcasts can help with that too. There are various titles which deal with MCAT prep, LSAT prep, and more.

The truth is, you won’t fall in love with every single podcast you try out. It’s a trial-and-error process because everyone’s interests are completely unique and individualized. The beauty is, though, that the options are pretty limitless and there are definitely ones out there that will resonate with you. Podcasts are, in a sense, very similar to YouTube; we all have a varied subscription list because we enjoy different content. And if you are a big fan of certain YouTubers, the chances are, they have a podcast too.

Trust me, these are worth your time.