Power Anthems: Songs You Need on Your Girl-Power Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.
“Pynk” by Janelle Monáe feat. Grimes

Quite possibly the ultimate female power anthem, “Pynk” is described as Monae as, “a celebration of creation, self love, sexuality, and pussy power.” Neither the song or the music video shy away from sexuality and female anatomy, but both are created with an appreciation of the female body in mind rather than objectification. The lyrics are silly and fun while still conveying the important message of self-love. Lyrics like, “Cause boy it’s cool if you got blue / We got the pink” turn gender stereotypes into reclamations of power and are best sung loud and proud.

“Woman” by Kesha feat. The Dap-Kings Horns

Admittedly inspired as a retort to Donald Trump’s predatory, “pussy grabbing” comment, Kesha’s power anthem promotes pride in being self-sufficient and strong. The song is both catchy and confident, thus easily put on repeat. It’s especially empowering considering Kesha’s testimony within the “Me Too” movement, as her involvement sprung from a lengthy battle for autonomy against her former producer and alleged sexual assaulter Dr. Luke.

“The Long Way Around” by the Dixie Chicks

“The Long Way Around” is a country-pop song by a girl group who are no strangers to standing up for what they believe in. After publicly criticizing former President Bush for his decisions regarding the Iraq war over a decade ago, the band received public backlash and were boycotted within the country music community. Rather than letting themselves be silenced, the group released a critically acclaimed album that didn’t apologize or back down from their previously stated opinions. This song, the single from that album, is a perfect representation of their perseverance and unwillingness to back down. The Dixie Chicks do things their own way, and this song enforces their message of empowering women to use their voice to advocate for what they believe in and be unapologetic in doing so. 

“Juice” by Lizzo

Quite frankly, Lizzo’s discography is largely made up of unbelievable female power anthems. “Juice” personally stands out for me as this anthem is absolutely drenched in lyrics of self love and optimism, with amazing funk-pop beats to match. It’s perfect to jam out to in the shower, or to put on during an impromptu dance party. It’s happy and over-the-top and just an overall fun song.

“Rare” by Selena Gomez

Rare is a softer, yet still upbeat song with a great meaning. It focuses on recognizing self worth in a relationship where your worth might not be appreciated. Lots of people are familiar with this feeling, and this song along with the rest of Selena’s new album is full of lyrics that are extremely raw and real so that people can easily identify and connect with them. 

“The Man” by Taylor Swift

Taylor’s newest single exposes the double standards of men and women, specifically in the workplace and music industry. She wrote the song to be a feminist commentary on the constant criticism she receives from tabloids and other media sources, and the song details how she would be treated differently if she were a man in her position. Overall, it’s described as a, “pointed statement about how much harder women need to work than men to get to the same finish line.” It’s a synth-pop lighthearted song on the surface with lyrics that extend into a well thought out critique…perfect for easygoing listening while also sending an important message. 

“Q.U.E.E.N.” by Janelle Monáe feat. Erykah Badu

This song tackles Monae’s thoughts on everything from sexuality to religion to race in a funky, Prince-inspired track. She alludes to female and queer empowerment and emphasizes staying true to yourself despite all of the social norms that may be working against you. It’s both a female power anthem and a power anthem in general. Its fusion of soul, jazz, and rap creates a song that just makes you want to dance with lyrics that are meant to be picked apart later.

Eden Plater

Queen's U '21

Eden is a third year English student at Queen's University. She loves dogs, diving into a good book, and listening to music your parents would probably like.
HC Queen's U contributor