This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Every democratic governmental system is rooted in a notion of accountability. Across broad variations of this through free press, to systems of checks and balances, and citizen participation, accountability is meant to ground power. Essentially, through this use of systems there is an ability to maintain a moderated power position and ensure that work being done in government is not an abuse of position, but rather in the favour of those being governed. While freedom in this realm remains strong, the actual effect has wavered in recent months. Accountability has become increasingly difficult with the current speed of news. There are moments where the last week feels like a lifetime ago. Moments have become just that, moments. We have lost humility as tragedy has invaded our daily living. 

Even so, accountability must continue. If we wish to dismantle systems of oppression, the moments of hurt cannot slip away and hope cannot lose its spark. There is too much power entrusted in political systems. And when accountability lacks, unimaginable damage can be done. 

black lives matter protester holding sign
Photo by Jason Hargrove from Flickr
To see this, we need to look no further than our current Ontario Government and the grave mishandling of the COVID-19 pandemic. Long-term care homes have been neglected, while public schools have been denied proper protections. In my home region of Niagara, an entire batch of vaccines was redirected with no explanation, meaning vaccinations would be delayed even longer. The implementation of vital paid sick leave for workers, often people of colour and immigrants, to prevent the mass spread of covid has been dismissed by Ford as unnecessary and not up to him. Nonetheless, this is just a short snippet of the magnitude of the failure to protect all citizens equally. Each time any member of the Ford government was asked about any of these areas, the sole response has been to deflect to someone else. There is zero responsibility for the death of seniors, the delay of life saving vaccines, or the blatant disregard for the lives of teachers, students, and essential workers. 

This is unacceptable. Governmental positions are not an opportunity for the promotion of a particular agenda. A leader cannot pick and choose the people they wish to support. In the case of Doug Ford, this is an agenda built on privatization as a method of amassing wealth for private companies and deepening the wealth gap. This pandemic has allowed for his true intentions to shine through the mask of empty words shouted at his constituents. It cannot go on. Too many lives have been lost. Too many days have been spent with Ford and his colleagues throwing the blame to the Federal government. There is no accountability, and thus, it is time for all to take action. 

Protest
Photo by Markus Spiske from Pexels
What I urge everyone to do is take a few minutes out of your day to contact your local leaders, as well as Doug Ford himself. If you are concerned about what you see happening, let them know. Voice your opinions, and keep the pressure on to right the wrongs committed. There is no reversing what has already happened, but we can salvage some semblance of equity. We must address the issues at their source rather than dance around notions of justice. The pandemic has struck fear into the hearts of many. It has stolen memories, careers, hope and time. Allowing it to take accountability along with these can simply not be an option. 

There is power in accountability. It is what kept the doors of Clinic 554 in Fredericton, New Brunswick open for so long and sustained access to reproductive healthcare. It is what led to the firing of the cops who murdered Breonna Taylor and what will lead to their arrest. Collective voice outweighs singular power when put into action. It is a responsibility we all have, and it doesn’t end here. It applies to all levels of government, all around the world. We must keep learning, listening, and amplifying issues as needed. So sign petitions, write or call your leaders, and educate yourself on systems of inequity. Keeping the government accountable in their duty to represent what citizens legitimately need can change everything. 

Local and Provincial contact information:

Premier Doug Ford – premier@ontario.ca

Kingston MP Mark Gerresten – Mark.Gerretsen@parl.gc.ca 

Kingston MPP Ian Arthur –  ianarthur@ndp.on.ca 

Find your local MP 

Find your local MPP

Joanna is a second year student at Queen's University pursuing an honours degree in Psychology along with a minor in Political Studies.
HC Queen's U contributor