This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

During my experience in self-isolation, it has been pretty difficult to find things to entertain myself with. The time between school work I would normally spend with friends, has now been spent mindlessly scrolling through social media apps. Despite my best efforts to be productive during isolation, I found that it was pretty challenging to keep myself away from the TV. Because I hate spending lots of time watching Netflix, I found some podcasts that were the perfect replacement. Not only are they a great way to pass the time, but you can listen while you do other activities, like cleaning or exercising! Here are my top recommendations:

Call Her Daddy 

This podcast won’t appeal to all audiences, but if you like raunchy and sexual humor that relates to modern dating, I highly recommend this podcast. 

The Daily

This podcast, hosted by the New York Times, gives a breakdown on daily news stories, so if you are looking for a way to keep up with current events, this is the podcast for you.

Serial 

This podcast was first introduced to me in high school, and I’ve recently started listening again. This is a great investigative journalism podcast, with it gaining popularity with season one focusing on the 1999 murder of student Hae Min Lee and raised questions about her accused murder’s conviction. Since then, each season has focuses on different cases.

Entry Level

I just recently started to listen to this podcast, and so far, it’s been a great comedic relief. The host Brooke Wheelan and his guests talk about the ups and downs of entry level jobs, something I’m sure many students will find relatable.

These are just some of my personal favourites, but there are thousands of podcasts that cover almost every subject matter. Next time you’re tired of Netflix marathoning, podcasts are the way to go.

Laura Wilson

Queen's U '21

Laura Wilson is an Art History and Psychology Major at Queen's University. She loves hiking, environmental sciences and wildlife with a special passion for writing.
HC Queen's U contributor