This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

In light of the holiday season, I have been reminded how important it is to pay it forward. More people need to do good deeds for others without asking for anything in return. By following this, you’re changing someone’s circumstances for the better and impacting another’s life more than you could ever know. All too often, it is easier to think about our own needs without considering how our actions affect others. However, what we say and do does matter, and it impacts those around us. Thus, we should take the time to connect and help each other, and in turn make a positive impact. Below are small actions to pay it forward and help make the world a better place.

Little Notes, Big Impact 

Little motivational note cards have a larger impact than they are given credit for. There are many times that people could use some encouragement from a little written message. For instance, that little post-it note you leave on the desk saying ‘you got this!, gave a person the motivation needed to study for a difficult exam. Or reading ‘you’re beautiful’ on the bookmark left behind, gave a person the reassurance on the new outfit they tried out today. Additionally, the ‘take what you need’ little messages are exactly what people need at times to make a difficult day a little easier. Sometimes all a person needs is to read an anonymous message saying that they can conquer the world and they will end up just doing that. Notes are a reminder to people that they’re not alone and give a little push when needed. Try leaving a note behind today with a kind message; you will put a smile on someone’s face and make their day a little brighter.

eat what makes you happy neon sign on brick wall
Photo by Jon Tyson from Unsplash

Holding the Door Open for Someone

Holding the door open for the person behind you is pretty obvious and shouldn’t be on the list. However, due to the amount of times a door has swung back and managed to almost smack me in the face, this reminder has landed its way here. It’s simple, HOLD THE DOOR, PEOPLE. Holding the door for the next person makes life a whole lot easier for each other and is a very easy way to be kind to another. Start up a quick conversation, throw a smile out there or just hold open the door. There is great kindness even in the simplest of actions.

Let Someone Go in Front of You in Line if They Only Have a Few Items

Coincidence has it, that the person who only has a few items will often land behind the person who is purchasing the entire store. The person with the overflowing shopping cart will only wait a few more minutes by letting the person behind them go ahead, while that person has now saved 10 minutes of their time. Let people with a small amount of items go in front of you, they will appreciate it more than you know.

Try to Make Sure Every Person in a Group Conversation Feels Included

INCLUDE THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU. I can’t express how important it is to include everyone in the group into the conversation. It’s honestly disheartening to see people completely ignored within a conversation that’s happening 2 feet in front of them. Making others feel included in a conversation is such a little act, however it makes all the difference. Even just making eye contact, to let people know that they are included or can add to the conversation, can make a person feel heard and not like an outsider.

girl and friends posing
Photo by Adrienn from Pexels

Put Your Phone Away While in the Company of Others

Having conversations with the back of someone’s phone is not at all worthwhile or entertaining. Continuously being on your phone in front of company gives the impression that you don’t care or you’re disinterested in what they are saying. People appreciate when you take the time and give full attention while being together. Put your phone down and fully engage in the conversation; your phone can wait.

Say Hello & Ask How Someone’s Day Is

Engage with the people around you! Say hello and ask how they are doing, you never know if that’s the first time someone has asked them today. Not to mention, you will receive more satisfaction by having a conversation with someone, instead of pretending to scroll through your phone. A kind interaction with someone can turn around a day for the better, start saying hello!

Leave a Good Book Behind

Once you finish reading a good book, leave it behind for someone else to enjoy. Whether you’re in a cafe, train, bus or airplane, leaving a copy of a book behind is a nice way to brighten someone’s day and let them experience the happiness you did. Furthermore, you could be giving someone their new favourite book, and what a beautiful experience that would be.

Nappy

Most Importantly…Not Charging for Caramel at Starbucks

You don’t realize how much this means to the customer until you have been one. As a customer who used to order a nonfat white mocha with whipped cream and caramel drizzle on the regular, I didn’t realize how much I would appreciate paying $5.65 opposed to $6.10. When the day arrived with the price difference, despite it not being a huge change, I was still surprised. After I questioned the price difference, I was told that my previous amount was without the needed charge of caramel. The first thought I had was ‘WOW I can’t believe how kind all the previous baristas were, as they chose not to charge me for caramel’. Knowing that people did this small act of kindness truly made my day. If you have the ability to help someone out in a little way, why not?

Paying it forward is just the beginning of a step in the right direction. You never know how a little act of kindness can affect someone else in such a big way. Taking a small amount out of your day to help someone else, can truly make all the difference. Let’s make doing little kind acts for others normal and start paying it forward today.

Erica Labriola

Queen's U '21

Erica Labriola is studying English Literature and Psychology at Queen’s University. She loves reading, F.R.I.E.N.D.S, and oat matcha lattes (with extra vanilla).
HC Queen's U contributor