This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Despite being the subject of vast collections of literature and art, and an item of adornment in the mind of every human who lives in a city attuned to the seasons, the trees do not perform for us in the Fall. Indeed, the yearly metamorphosis of nature is nothing but a biological phenomenon. Of course, no one actually believes this changing of the colours to be for our own enjoyment (that would be human anthropocentrism at its peak), although there is certainly something we humans can take from the trees as they shed their leaves. 

Onwards, I will not sit here and write about all the beauty to be found in transformation (although I do think change is beautiful). We tend to forget that as beautiful as change may be, it is also inevitable. I can only imagine that if the trees were humans they would go on and on whining about their changing colours, and their eventual bareness. And why is this exactly? Why do we push back so hard against change even if we know it’s normal, and more than that — even if we know it’s needed? To this, I have no answer. The reality is that as natural as change is, it can also be absolutely brutal. Yet thankfully, the trees are not humans, and they change each fall without a droplet of resistance, thus giving us the strength we need to embrace transformation as it comes. So this October, I recommend we all take a page out of nature’s handbook and embrace some much needed change. Without further ado — here are some ways I believe we can embrace transformation this Autumn: 

Contemplation

Whether within the confines of your own mind, on paper, or in the company of a dear friend, take some time to reflect on your current situation and see if there is anything you feel ready to outgrow. Are there certain people in your life you feel are taking away from your ability to thrive? Are there certain habits you have adopted that no longer serve you? Have you found yourself stuck in a certain mindset that is unproductive to your well-being? Whether you choose to focus on tangible things, mental paradigms, or both, truly take a minute to reflect on your current life and see if there’s anything you would like to weave out.

Metamorphosis

Now, implementing change into your life is way easier said than done. It may just feel nice to understand yourself and your needs, and to slowly make choices that reflect these needs. On the contrary, you may be ready for a complete metamorphosis. Either way, just as important as reflecting on the change you need comes a reflection on what is working well for you. Examine what it is in your life that you absolutely do not want to let go of. Which people in your life have been bringing you immense joy? Which hobbies have you taken up that feel like an extension of yourself? What simple habits have you been doing in the day-to-day that bring peace to your routine? Find what brings you joy, and try to replicate it in more ways than one.

October has always been my New Years. Indeed, nothing is as symbolic of a fresh start as the entirety of Autumn, and I believe we all know this to be true, whether consciously or subconsciously. As the leaves start to paint the world around us,our bodies will instinctively respond to this cue of transformation. Let us celebrate this wonderful season of change.

Leah Pearl

Queen's U '24

Leah is a third year student at Queens U majoring in Religious Studies.