This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

One of my flaws is that I tend to look backwards rather than forwards. I’m a nostalgic person, and I’ve been told that I reminisce too much about the past when I should be looking to the future. I’m working on it – but I do still like to think back sometimes.

While by no means do I feel like a complete adult yet, being in university for a couple of years has taught me a bit more about myself. If I could go back in time, I would have a few tips to give to my first-year self:

1. Worrying doesn’t help.

I want to say “stop worrying,” but as a chronic worrier, I know that just saying that won’t do anything. You’re going to worry about trying to do everything: getting good grades, making friends, being involved, being active; everything. Personally, recognizing that most of the small things I used to worry about daily didn’t really matter in the long haul is what helped me (start to) worry less. Worrying doesn’t make anything better anyway, so just try to concentrate on what you can control.

2. You don’t have to know what you’re doing.

This is somewhat related to my first point, since I’ve always stressed about not knowing what to do with my life. It’s completely normal not to know in first year – I mean, I still don’t know what I’m doing today. Really, I’ve just sort of come to terms with it and I’m still trying to figure it out. I’ve had friends and family of all ages tell me that even they don’t know what they’re doing some ten odd years later. Rarely anyone really does, so don’t fret.

3. Go for it.

Go for that opportunity you weren’t sure about. It doesn’t matter if you’re not totally certain if it’s what you want to do or if you don’t think you’re good enough. Just give it a shot – you never know where it’ll lead you or what’ll happen. Trust me, there’s really nothing to lose and so many possibilities of what cool experiences you could gain from it.

4. Everybody’s different.

You can make your university experience whatever you want it to be. There’s no cookie-cutter path to follow and just because you’re doing things differently than others doesn’t mean you’re doing it wrong. Make your university experience your own!

5. Time flies.

This is so cliché and I know everybody says it, but it’s true. I’ve still got a good bit of time left here at Queen’s, but it just seems so strange to think about how much time has passed. Have fun in all the moments you can – university is an unforgettable time, and I hope you’re enjoying the ride too.

Photo by Itay Kabalo