This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Whether you look forward to February 14th or feel nothing but apathy, Valentine’s Day is inevitably almost here. As a fan of heart-printed clothes and discounted chocolate the next day, I have always found the holiday to be endearing regardless of my romantic prospects. Since COVID-19 protocol means that the majority of us will be spending Valentine’s Day at home in lockdown conditions, I thought I would cultivate a list of potential movies to watch on the 14th. I chose a variety of movies for the wide range of emotions that Valentine’s Day invokes — whether it is the desire to cry or to go aww at the TV — so that no matter how the holiday makes you feel, there is a film out there for you! 

Assorted Valentines Day Candies
Photo by Laura Ockel from Unsplash

If you feel lonely… 

Her (2013) dir. Spike Jonze: 

A movie that feels especially relevant in COVID-19 times, Her is about an introverted man who writes romantic letters for a living and ends up falling in love with a highly developed AI system. Think Siri, but with more personality and voiced by ScarJo. Despite the seemingly bizarre and outlandish plot, the movie speaks to the sense of alienation that has transpired in a tech-ruled society and how we may find comfort and love in rather strange places. 

If you’re with the girls… 

Clueless (1995) dir. Amy Heckerling: 

Although I try to refrain from the term “chick-flick,” this movie has been undoubtedly proclaimed a modern classic for women. Clueless is loosely based off of Jane Austen’s novel Emma and is about the fashionably spoiled teenager Cher Horowitz, who sets out to makeover a new girl at her school while dealing with romantic issues of her own. It’s the perfect movie for laughing with friends, taking inspiration from the impeccable 90s’ style and admiring a young Paul Rudd. 

If you want to cry… 

Love Story (1970) dir. Arthur Hiller: 

I would not consider myself to be prone to cry during movies, but Love Story is the closest you will see me sob like a baby. Harvard College is the backdrop where Oliver Barrett IV –– the son of a wealthy East Coast family –– and Jenny Cavilleri, a working-class student, meet and, of course, fall in love. Pressure from family, money and illness test their relationship, and the composition by Frances Lai beautifully complements the drama. I would advise you to stock up on tissues before watching this one! 

If you are a cynic… 

500 Days of Summer (2009) dir. Marc Webb

Uninterested in love and the sentimental nature of Valentine’s Day? You would most likely find Zooey Deschannel’s character, Summer, extremely resonating as we are near the holiday. 500 Days of Summer stars Joseph Gordon Levitt as Tom, who attempts to dissect the reasons why Summer does not believe in long-lasting relationships and boyfriends. The movie depicts a clash of philosophies about love that may have sprang in your own relationships, and it is both a funny and relatable watch. 

pink roses
Photo by Sidney Pearce from Unsplash

If you are heartbroken… 

In The Mood For Love (2000) dir. Wong Kar-wai 

This movie is set in Hong Kong in the ‘60s, and is about a man and a woman who realize their spouses are in an affair. While most movies would take this plotline and have the two being cheated on ignite a romantic relationship themselves, Kaw-wai avoids that typical route and instead show the two main characters coping with each other and healing from the pain of their spouses’ infidelity. A film that is stunning both visually and in its writing, In The Mood For Love considers heartbreak in a mature and unique manner. 

If you are a hopeless romantic… 

You’ve Got Mail (1998) dir. Nora Ephron 

There is a lot to appreciate about this Nora Ephron rom-com: Manhattan, young Tom Hanks and commentary about the battle between book chains and independent stores. This movie is about two people who converse on an anonymous online platform –– and without their knowledge, meet in real life and become rival booksellers. It is both an adorable and hilarious movie, and perfect if you are set out on the notion of finding the one.

Rachel Riddell

Queen's U '23

Rachel Riddell is an English major and History minor at Queen's University.
HC Queen's U contributor