Life > Academics

Movie Scores: The Secret to Successful Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Now that I’m partway through my second year of university, I’ve had the chance to develop some study habits that have helped me focus, whether it’s to write that long paper or study for that big exam. One of the factors I have found to be most important in the success of my studying is what soundtrack I have to accompany me, and I think I have found the secret to a productive study session: movie scores. 

I find that when I really need to get some work done, the music I choose to listen to can be the deciding factor between getting that assignment done or not. Music helps keep me in the zone and focused on what’s in front of me by creating a perfect little study bubble, as any noise or conversations make me lose focus, and absolute silence can be distracting in and of itself.

When I’m really having trouble concentrating, however, song lyrics are too distracting, and white noise is not engaging enough because it lacks that musicality that keeps me concentrated. The obvious solution, then, is instrumental music, which is a great tool for studying. I’ve found that one way to really enhance the efficacy of instrumental music as a study tool is to make use of a movie score.

Following a movie score can help you establish a study timeline. The music will most often follow the typical plot structure: exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and the eventual resolution. This can be a good pace to set for yourself as you aim to work productively. Start your study session at the beginning of the movie and keep working as the plot moves along, allowing yourself a break when you’ve reached the end of the score. You’ll be able to tell where you are in your session by the tone the music sets, because that’s its function during the movie. I find that being able to situate myself like this and create a mental timeline through the music helps ensure productivity. It can be quite cathartic to come to the end of a good work session with a soundtrack that is coming to a resolution. Studying can also get quite boring, so why not spice things up by situating yourself in your favourite movie and taking the opportunity to have a main character moment? Naturally, one listen through might not be enough time to get through all your work, but it does create a natural breaking point for you to take 10 minutes to clear your mind before you get back to it and start the next movie score in your rotation.

Over the years, I’ve collected a roster of movies that create the perfect atmosphere for studying. Blockbuster movies like Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, and How to Train Your Dragon are not only fun to listen to on any occasion but also made to be especially engaging. These movie franchises are also a great option because you already have the sequels lined up for your next chunk of studying. Listening to a childhood favourite can also be quite calming and make a stressful period like exam season just a little bit easier. Some of my other favourites include scores by Hans Zimmer and Alexandre Desplat in Little Women (2019), The Grand Budapest Hotel, Interstellar, The French Dispatch, and Dune.

University can be tough, and as your workload piles on, it can be challenging to get yourself to focus on your work. Why not pick a favourite movie and listen to its score to create that perfect work environment? Maybe when you’re done, you can sit back, relax, and watch that very movie as a reward.

Alexandra Lamy

Queen's U '24

Alex is a fourth year political studies student at Queen's University. She loves to spend her time watching movies, browsing bookstores, and hanging out with friends!