This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

As a young Jewish woman, discovering The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel meant a lot to me – finally, a show whose humour is rooted in things I understand, and whose characters are similar to myself and my family. The Jewish grandma (“Bubby”) whose waking goal is to feed, spoil, and love her grandchildren; the parents who instill in you unwavering family values and tirelessly pull you back to your Jewish roots; the small dating pool of eligible Jewish bachelors where everyone knows each other a little too well. These are things I am more than familiar with, and things I longed to see reflected on the big screen, so there is no denying that I love this show.

While I was waiting for the newest season to be released, I sat down to watch the first few episodes with a friend over reading break. It was then when I realized how much I connect to Midge Maisel, beyond our shared religion and culture. In fact, I realized how much we can all learn from this single-woman icon. 

What makes Midge Maisel so relatable is how she handles the brutal breakdown where you accept that your relationship is blocking you from your true potential, where you realize your spark is being stolen by a partner who uses it to shine themselves, and you realize it is time to walk away. A situation I – and most others – can most definitely relate to. For me, this most recently happened on a walk to Dairy Queen, where I poured my heart out to my supportive and concerned housemates. For Midge Maisel, after her husband, Joel, packs up and leaves her for his secretary, her breakdown is set on a musty Greenwich village stage, fuelled by a bottle of Kosher wine. Her rant to the unassuming audience is where her stage presence and natural apt for comedy is unlocked. She uses her heartbreak, shock, and disappointment to uncover a part of herself that was suppressed through her upbringing and her life as a 1950’s housewife.

In the show’s setting, being a single, adult woman is almost seen as criminal. When Midge and her best friend, Imogene, harp on the sad lives of the “divorcees” in the corner of their exercise class, we see how success, happiness, and stability are exclusively perceived through one’s relationship status. However, for Midge, despite her parents insisting her marriage be successful and the overall societal judgement she may face, she opposes these archaic norms and continues to unfold layers of what makes her unique: her quick wit, her signature style, and her almighty brisket recipe.

It commands immense courage, to appreciate your self-worth when the world labels you undesirable and unworthy without romantic love. While this sentiment appears to have dwindled from the 1950’s, it is still true that many women, especially in their 20’s, feel insignificant without a romantic relationship. It is why many of us experience feelings of tragedy after breakups, even if it was not the right relationship. But what Midge shows us is how to turn this tragedy into triumph, how to abolish constraints and thrive in a passion, even when the pressures around you are deafening. 

Appreciating your self-worth when love fails you, or you fail to fit the societal norm, is easier said than done. While Midge Maisel’s passionate discovery came to her through comedy, mine came to me through writing. I felt lost after my breakup; I had no idea where to find the confidence I once possessed. I like to think that Midge’s example ingrained in the back of my mind, reminding me that I could find a power and talent within me. Her confidence inspired my own, encouraging me to voice my story through writing. What you’re reading here, has been my first leap of faith.

Alisa Bressler

Queen's U '24

Alisa Bressler is a third-year business student at Queen's University, currently studying in Sydney, Australia. She loves Broadway, ice cream, and Legally Blonde!