Let’s Go Back in Time: 10 Songs to Introduce Yourself to Classic Rock

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Do you want to make your dad proud, know all (or at least some) of the songs at Mod Club, impress your friends with your musical superiority, or just listen to some really great tunes? Me too! While I can’t 100 percent guarantee you’ll impress your dad (I’m not a miracle worker) I can guarantee some bops.

Classic rock is typically explained as music your parents listened to when they were hormonal teenagers (like you and like me!), but more specifically it encompasses hard rock from the mid 60’s to late 80’s that garnered commercial success.

With a description this vague it can be a hard genre to navigate, one wrong turn and you have Def Leppard screaming “Burn it up, let’s go for broke; Watch the night go up in smoke” into your ear! This, if i’m being honest is a full mood, but all that aggression can turn you off, especially if all you’re looking for is a song about how hard life in a small town is. However, if you happen to already have this song on your playlist then you have officially surpassed the need for this list, and maybe send me one? But I digress. So without further ado, 10 songs to introduce you to the genre of classic rock.

1)  John Mellancamp: “Hurt So Good”

Johnny Cougar, John Cougar Mellancamp, John Mellancamp, whatever his name may be this song can’t help but put you in a good mood, what with his rough voice, great guitar hooks and chorus that’ll be playing in your head for weeks. “It hurts so good” you’ll say as you sob into your pillow with this song playing on an endless loop in your brain.

2) Blue Oyster Cult: “Don’t Fear Fear the Reaper”

In the famous words of Christopher Walken , “I have a fever and the only prescription– is more cowbell” (look it up). But in all seriousness Hamlet probably could have used this song, embracing it’s mantra of “don’t fear the reaper”, feel free to use that for your next essay thesis.

3) The Cars: “Just what I needed”

The line “I don’t mind you coming here/wasting all my time” is what we wish that special someone would text us instead of “u up”, “i’m really busy with school”, or “sorry who is this?”. Until then sit back, listen to this song and convince yourself you’re better off without them.

4) Bruce Springsteen: “I’m Goin’ Down”

Bruce Springsteen is the epitome of American rock, and any of his songs could easily make this list, but “I’m Goin’ Down” is probably the most upbeat “my girl isn’t treating me right” song I’ve ever heard, and don’t we all need some lightheartedness in ours lives?

5) Boston: “Peace of Mind”

‘Peace of Mind’ is sure to have you mime strumming the opening chord progression, and it’ll make you look extra cool (at least in your own mind) when it comes on the radio and you go “that’s Boston isn’t it”. Everyone will bow down to the Classic Rock goddess you are. The song’s message is basically mind your own business, do your own thing. Boston isn’t here for the drama, and if that isn’t relatable I don’t know what is.

6) Creedence Clearwater Revival: Have You Ever Seen Rain

In short Creedence Clearwater revival really really wants to know if you’ve seen rain, but specifically on a sunny day. Basically what they’re saying is things can be good but also be bad at the same time. This is too relatable for me when I socialize all day and then all of a sudden remember my impending workload! So yes, I have indeed seen rain on a sunny day. Also it helps that we live in Kingston where it rains approximately 100% of the time! 

7) Bryan Adams: “Summer of 69”

Now I’m not from a small town, never have been never will be, and in the famed summer of 69 I wasn’t yet a twinkle in my father’s eye. Nevertheless, this song makes me nostalgic for those long summers days, nights spent at the drive in, riding around with the boys causing general mayhem: stickin’ it to the man. Might just be me though.

8) Stevie Nicks: “Edge of Seventeen”

Of course this list wouldn’t be complete without girl boss Stevie Nicks herself. Nicks was part of the band Fleetwood Mac which is more folk than rock, but Edge of Seventeen  remains firmly in the rock zone; never has 17 sounded so badass. Think of this song as a much angstier and impassioned version of The Sound of Music’s “16 Going on 17” (sorry Liesl).

9) The Eagles: “Tequila Sunrise”

The Eagles are often seen as barely being classic rock, not hard core enough for most listeners, but I can’t help love their chill vibe. It is the perfect blend of melancholy and laid back vibes. Definitely not the song to play when you’re slamming back tequila shots at the pre, but perfect for when the night is winding down. Also a perfect instagram caption for your next night out (that’s a free tip from me to you).

10) Pink Floyd: “Time”

I once made the grave mistake of telling my dad that Harry Styles’s new album reminded me of Pink Floyd. Never again. But that being said if you’re into that album maybe give this song a listen? On another note listening to the words “ticking away the hours that make up a dull day” will quite possibly cause an existential crisis leading us to ask the universal questions of ‘why are we all here’? ‘What’s it all for?’ You know the drill, it’s the same feeling you get when exam season rolls around, except more enjoyable. 

Tessa Warburton

Queen's U '21

Tessa is a 2nd year English student at Queens U.