This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

25 years ago, 10 seasons and six friends. Friends is the show that can bring you laughter with Chandler’s sarcastic comments, pull on your heartstrings with the devastating breakup (WE WERE ON A BREAK!!!) between Rachel and Ross, and put a smile on your face with Joey’s antics, ”How you doin?” Despite the many years that have passed, the show continues to be a phenomenon and a great self-care getaway for many people. As I write this post in honour of the 25th anniversary of Friends, here are the ways in which six people, ones that you can relate to and share many laughs with, can give you valuable life lessons.

1. You Can Always Count on Your Friends

When it hasn’t been your day, your week, your month or even your year, your friends will be there for you! It can be intimidating at times to reach out for support and express what is troubling you. However, asking for support doesn’t always have to be so direct. You can ask your friends to do a movie night or dance the night away at your favourite bar. Simply reaching out to your friends for a good time can be uplifting and a great destressor!

three women stand together outside. the one in the middle is throwing up a peace sign.
Omar Lopez | Unsplash

2. Communication Is Key

Talk to each other. No matter how well you know someone, you can’t read each others’ minds. Communication is needed to avoid misunderstandings, such as knowing if you are on a break or not, hurt feelings and confusion. It is better to ask the difficult questions and know the real answer instead of assuming the worst and carrying unneeded stress for no reason.

Hands holding phone
Oleg Magni on Unsplash

3. Your Lobster Is Out There

At times it can feel as if everyone in the world has a significant other except for you. However, there are other people out there who are still looking for love and you truly are not the only one. Keeping this in mind, your lobster is waiting for you and you will find them someday. Remember, don’t settle for less or sleep with a Paolo just for the sake of it.

couple
Photo by Shanique Wright on Unsplash

4. Food…Is Never a Bad Answer

Instead, a bad answer is when someone replies ”Yes!” to your offering of food. As a good-looking italian once said, multiple times, “Joey doesn’t share food!” In all seriousness, food isn’t a bad answer. If you want to make cookies at 2am, then make those cookies! You want to get extra fries instead of cucumbers at QP? Then get the fries! Life is too short to say no to the things we truly desire – especially when it comes to food. You only live once right?

SP Home 2
JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash

5. Sometimes All You Need Is a Good Tight Squeeze

There are times where all you need in this world is a hug and everything becomes better, even if it’s only for a brief moment. It’s the little things, such as a hug, that can make someone’s day. Not to mention, you can never run out of hugs to give and they are uplifting for those who receive and give them – so why not hug more? Go out there and give someone a squeeze!

Anna Schultz-Friends Cuddling In Holiday Pajamas
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

6. Be Yourself

Never hide your true self! Living a life that’s not true to yourself isn’t enjoyable and is downright exhausting. If you want to run as Phoebe does, then go out there and swing your arms wildly! If you enjoy singing at the top of your lungs and dancing like no one’s watching, do it! Life is too short to pretend you’re someone you’re not. If there are people who don’t like you for who you are, then they’re not meant to be in your life. Trust me, there will always be people out there who love and appreciate you just as you are.

Girl On Booklyn Bridge 1
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

7. Have Confidence in Yourself

You’re a strong, independent woman! Have confidence in yourself and all that you can accomplish.  Wear the outfit that you know you look fantastic in – look good, feel good, do good! Or, have a dance party – the physical exercise will boost your mood and boost your confidence. Keep your head up high and strut your stuff, you own this moment! Think of where you began and what you have already accomplished up until this point. You have conquered and will keep on conquering because you are unstoppable!

Thought Catalog/Unsplash

8. Sometimes Bad Things Happen to Good People

Unfortunately the world isn’t always fair. There will be days where your lotion explodes in your bag and you just have to deal with it. However, at times it can be very difficult to come to terms with this. When these challenges arise though, remember to always pick yourself up, or ask for a hand, and continue to push forward. Pushing forward doesn’t always have to mean fixing the problem entirely. Sometimes, you just need to leave the lotion in the bag and get a new one instead. As long as there is a movement in some direction, you’re doing great! You can handle anything life throws at you.

Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

9. Love Your Body

Love every inch of yourself! You are beautiful and should embrace the gift that’s your body! If you want to alter your body for health reasons, do it! However, no one should feel as if they have to. Not to mention, we’re our biggest critics. What you may see as being ‘unattractive’, another person sees as sexy. Each body is unique and beautiful in its own way. Furthermore, don’t bring yourself down. You will miss out on so many experiences if you let negative perspectives take over your body. Enjoy the body you have and share its beauty with everyone!

Girl Lying On Bed Close Up
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus

10. Take Risks

Go out and live your best life! Life is too short to not do what you want to do. In today’s society, it can be difficult to not become caught up in the ideals that are set up for (or against) us. The ideas of needing to reach certain milestones at a specific age, life choices having to follow a certain path or having to know now, in this very moment, what you want to do for the rest of your life. Do what you want and how you want to do it. This is your life and at the end of the day, you have to live with the choices that you do or do not make. So, go talk to the person who you think is cute, go apply for your dream job, and speak up for what you feel is right. The world is your oyster.

person standing wide toward mountains
Nina Uhlíková

These are only 10 of the many life lessons that you can learn from Friends. 25 years later, 10 seasons and six friends – still continuing to touch the lives of many people.

Erica Labriola

Queen's U '21

Erica Labriola is studying English Literature and Psychology at Queen’s University. She loves reading, F.R.I.E.N.D.S, and oat matcha lattes (with extra vanilla).
HC Queen's U contributor