Inspirational Quotes from 20 Extraordinary Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

With International Women’s Day on the horizon, it is important to recognize the cultural, political, economic and social achievements of women. It is our call to act and do our part in promoting gender balance. Here are inspirational quotes from 20 extraordinary women to guide you through 2020 and beyond.

women doing exercises
Photo by Luis Quintero from Pexels
1. “If you don’t risk anything, you risk even more.” – Erica Jong

2. “If you think taking care of yourself is selfish, change your mind. If you don’t, you’re simply ducking your responsibilities.” – Ann Richards

3. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” – Jane Goodall

4. “Giving up doesn’t always mean you’re weak. Sometimes you’re just strong enough to let go.” – Taylor Swift

girl power 1
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

5. “It’s not the absence of fear, it’s overcoming it. Sometimes you’ve got to blast through and have faith.” – Emma Watson

6. “You grow up the day you have your first real laugh at yourself.” – Ethel Barrymore

7. “In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” – Coco Chanel

8. “I didn’t get there by wishing for it or hoping for it, but by working for it.” – Estée Lauder

9. “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

10. “Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you.” – Hillary Clinton

woman wearing red high heels with white socks that say girls rule
Pexels / CoWomen

11. “When I’m hungry, I eat. When I’m thirsty, I drink. When I feel like saying something, I say it.” – Madonna

12. “You can’t be that kid standing at the top of the waterslide, overthinking it. You have to go down the chute.” – Tina Fey

13. “If you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing.” – Margaret Thatcher

14. “When we’re growing up there are all sorts of people telling us what to do when really what we need is space to work out who to be.” – Ellen Page​

15. “Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” – Nora Ephron

women fists raised in air
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

16. “I attribute my success to this: I never gave or took an excuse.” – Florence Nightingale

17. “Don’t compromise yourself. You are all you’ve got.” – Janis Joplin​

18. “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” – Anne Frank

19. “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default.” – J. K. Rowling

20. “If you don’t like the road you’re walking, start paving another one.” – Dolly Parton

The time to act is now. Each and everyone of us has the courage to make change. Find a quote that you can relate to and embrace the empowering messages of these extraordinary women.   

Jaelen List

Queen's U '21

Third-year Commerce major at Queen's University
HC Queen's U contributor