If I Have a Daughter, I Won’t Teach Her to be a Modern-Day Feminist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

I will teach her that modern day feminism is not what women marched for in the 1960s.

I will teach her that if she believes, like her mother, that men and women are equal, then she should believe that men and women should both be drafted into the army; that men should not be “expected” to pay the bill on the first date; that we should not elect, or hire, or favour someone because they are a woman (or a man) – we should do so because they are the best candidate for the position.

I will teach her that she should not assume that setbacks and limitations faced in life are immediately because she is a woman. One of the most valuable things I will make her remember is that we are all, first and foremost, individuals, despite how far you are beyond the starting line. I will teach my daughter that you must take the resources you have, make the most of them, and work extremely hard to be successful.

I will teach her what true feminism is; to acknowledge diverging views and values of women and men, no matter how conflicting from your own – pro-choice, pro-life, traditional, liberal, conservative, religious, non-religious, makeup-less, face full of makeup, covered-up in clothing, nearly nude.

I will teach her that tenacity and conviction is built up through the ability to live and thrive in a nonsensical world with unexpected happenings.

I will teach her to keep an open mind, think like a philosopher and go beyond the surface, never merely adopting an opinion on anything she sees or hears without questioning it first.

I will teach her that she has the possibility to purchase the best car or the best house, attend the best academic institutions, climb the corporate ladder, travel the world, dress how she wants, earn millions of dollars, vote for the candidate she desires, and be her own boss – but only if she wants to.

Chloe likes freaking out over dogs on the street, eating, traveling, and lifting more than your boyfriend.