This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

With Queen’s University being one of the only schools online for the first half of the winter semester, I think it’s safe to say that none of us have been incredibly thrilled. Of course, I totally understand COVID-19 protocol, but it is still unfortunate that we had to go right back to square one. It was like it was March 2020 all over again and it feels discouraging, like no matter how much work we do, we always just end up back in the same spot. 

I’ve felt the same way these past 6 weeks during the winter semester. Over the winter break, everything was fun and exciting! Like a lot of people, I got to see my friends who studied at different schools, I spent a lot of time with my family, and of course, the holiday season is always enjoyable! But as the first day of the winter semester rolled around, slowly but surely all of my friends began to head back to their new homes from Hamilton, to Ottawa, and even all the way to London England. And I found myself alone, at home, with nothing left to do. On one hand, I would be a lot more focused on my school work, and I planned on really getting ahead this semester. On the other hand, not going out for days on end takes a toll on your productivity and overall well-being.

I would say I avoided the overall pandemic slump for a very long time, but the past few months have made me feel the absolute worst. I wouldn’t get out of bed until like 11 am, which was odd for me. I would sit in front of my computer and do absolutely nothing, and then cram assignments on the day before they were due. Also, just a reminder because I know I needed it, just because you can finish an assignment in a day, does not mean you should! To sum this up: I have not been doing great. 

Needless to say, I don’t think I’m the only one feeling this way. I’ve talked to a lot of my friends in different cities who were also staying home because of online school and we’ve all felt disappointed with life one way or another. Losing out on these university experiences that are supposed to be the best years of our lives is difficult especially when there’s nothing we can really do to change that. I hope the biggest takeaway from this article will be that it’s okay if you’ve been feeling down due to isolation, and I also hope you gain some inspiration to make the next few weeks at school the best you possibly can! 

On the bright side, with in-person school starting again, change is inevitable so it’s important to attempt to make this change a positive one. My recommendation to anyone who has felt unsuccessful the last few weeks is to make goals for the end of this semester. With easier access to the ARC, I plan on using the gym at least three times a week, waking up by 7 am, and effectively planning my days so that I will have some time to myself at the end of each day. Try and make these goals specific, because the more specific they are, the more inclined you will feel to achieve them. 

I’m also looking forward to just spending time in a more motivating space. Sure my local library is nice, but nothing compares to a late-night Stauffer study sesh. Being on campus will make life feel a lot more real, so it will be so much easier to make this life a productive and fun one! 

If there’s one thing the pandemic has taught everyone, it’s been to take every opportunity life gives you and take advantage of it. Good luck with this upcoming semester!

Victoria is a third-year Bachelor of Arts student at Queen's University studying English. She is also a lover of music, romcoms, Formula 1, and is always open to book recs!