Style > Decor

How to Make Your Student House (or Dorm Room) Feel like Home!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Moving into a dorm or a student house can be intimidating; for many of us, it’s our first time away from home. Keep reading for 4 affordable things you can buy to make your space feel a bit homier!

Plants

Flowers and plants are a simple and relatively cheap way to liven up your space. If you don’t feel like putting a lot of effort into taking care of your plants, cactuses and succulents are a great option. Or, if you are willing to give a little time to tend to your flora, there are plenty of different potted plants that you can get! I found super affordable pots for my plants at the dollar store; all you need to do then is pot your plant, and then you’ll have a little green oasis of your own!

Posters & Wall Art

Another super simple way to make a space your own is by hanging up posters or art. Most schools have poster sales where you can pick up different pieces for great prices; you can also buy them online through websites like Redbubble. Make sure to use sticky tack instead of tape though so that the paint doesn’t get ripped off your walls! Tapestry’s are also a great and affordable option for wall art, which can be found on websites like Amazon.

Lights

Amazon is your best friend to find lights that can add a little something extra to your house or room. A good example are these colour-changing LED light strips. If you’re looking to splurge a bit, then this remote-controlled, colour-changing light bulb is a great choice, and for those party nights, these mini strobe lights are a great choice! No matter what you choose, some lighting can really change the ambiance of your room. 

Photos

One way I loved adding a personal touch to my room in first year was printing out photos and making a collage on my wall. It is relatively inexpensive to get photos printed (you can do it at most Shopper’s Drug Marts) and then all you have to do is organize them on your wall with some sticky tack!

Eirinn Chisholm

Queen's U '21

My name is Eirinn and I'm 21 years old. Thank you for checking out my writing here on Her Campus :)
HC Queen's U contributor