Style

How to get the most Insta-worthy Shots this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! This holiday season, there’s no need to hire a photographer to get the perfect holiday pictures. There is so much you can do with just your phone! Here a few tips to get some insta-worthy shots this break:

Step 1: Finding the Perfect Spot

Finding the perfect spot to take your pictures is key in setting the tone for the photo. If you want more of a rustic christmas vibe, try finding an old barn! If you want a christmas in the city kind of vibe, scope out your local christmas market! Or find some quaint brick buildings for a small town feel. If you want a whimsical christmas vibe, adventure into the outdoors and find a snowy forest. If you’re lucky enough to live where there’s a lot of snow, use this to your benefit! The whiteness of the snow acts as a natural reflector of light, making the exposure nice and even.

Step 2: Setting up the Shot

There is no need for fancy equipment to get the perfect picture. If you do have a DSLR on hand, (or even a film camera!) feel free to use this. However, your phone will do the trick! If your phone has portrait mode, use this to your advantage. Shooting with a wide aperture (f2.8 or below) will blur the background, and give you the dreamy bokeh effect.

Step 3: Get Creative with it

Don’t be afraid to play around and have some fun with it! Using props will make your pictures a bit more enticing. If you have a theme for your photoshoot, consider adding some props. If your theme is true holiday, consider bringing some mistletoe, a cute holiday mug, or take pictures as you decorate your christmas tree. Have some fun with light! Buy some sparklers to add that extra edge to your photographs. If you have a special someone (or a dog, like me) consider bringing them into the pictures as well!

Step 4: Capture Personality

Above all, have fun with it! The holidays are a time to celebrate and embrace what’s to come in the new year. The holiday season is the time to go back to your roots, spend time with family and friends, and appreciate the little things in life. When taking your pictures, you are capturing a snapshot of a memory you will be able to look back on and cherish. The best pictures are not necessarily the most articulate ones, but the ones that tell a story.

Happy Holidays!

Alexa Fiorante

Queen's U '21

Alexa Fiorante is a 3rd year Biotechnology Student at Queen's University in Kingston, ON, Canada. Alexa loves all things science and medicine, and when she's not hitting the books, you can find with either a guitar or camera in hand! Catch her on Instagram @alexa_nina
HC Queen's U contributor