This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Winter can be an extremely tough time for someone like myself who struggles with mental health issues. The long days that often lack in sunshine can be quite detrimental if you don’t have strategies in place to properly take care of yourself during this time. World Mental Health Day is in the month of October, which inspired me to share some of my favourite tips that I use to beat the winter blues.

1. Spend a little bit of time outside every day

This can be extremely difficult, especially during cold weather; however, doing this is very important, as natural sunlight works wonders for your mental health, especially during times where it’s dark most of the day. Exposure to natural sunlight is thought to increase the levels of serotonin (a chemical that makes you feel happy) in your brain, so try to get out and experience a little bit every day!

2. Buy a seasonal affective disorder light

If the above tip does not sound super appealing to you, I would highly suggest looking into purchasing a seasonal affective disorder light. They retail on amazon for anywhere between $45 to $100 and are designed to imitate natural sunlight. Therapists highly recommend this lamp for dealing with depression in the winter months, especially if your room doesn’t have much natural light to begin with.

3. Take care of your body

This is something that I personally struggle with, since I often find it easy to neglect my physical health during times that I am also struggling with my mental health. Nonetheless, it’s important to recognize the positive benefits which both physical activity and healthy eating have on your mental health. Doing this every day may seem super daunting, but making a conscious effort to eat right and get moving even one day per week can make a huge difference.

4. Talk to someone

It’s extremely easy to isolate yourself in the winter months, yet it’s so important to have a strong support system around you while the seasons change. Talk to your friends or loved ones about the way you’re feeling– you’d be surprised by how much this can enhance your mood. If you feel uncomfortable talking to the people around you, reach out to a counsellor on campus, or find one off campus if you’d prefer; you can even use a mental health hotline to talk. You’re not alone. There are so many people out there who are willing to listen and do what they can to help you through this difficult season.

Eirinn Chisholm

Queen's U '21

My name is Eirinn and I'm 21 years old. Thank you for checking out my writing here on Her Campus :)