clarke sanders ybPJ47PMT M unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clarke sanders ybPJ47PMT M unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

How Baddie Culture Challenges Traditional Femininity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

There have been moments in the past couple years where I’ve wanted nothing more than to be a baddie: face beat, eyeliner sharp, body banging, and most of all, the power and magnetism of someone who could not care less.

In some ways, baddies have redefined what qualities and styles are attractive, and what trends we should pay attention to. The emergence of ~baddie culture~ has made me question why baddies are so attractive, and why girls are so eager to be part of the movement. And I think, after analyzing my Instagram feed, that the largest, most alluring quality of a baddie is their lack of concern and regard for softness and passivity. 

Baddies challenge gender roles by shifting power dynamics and by not conforming to traditional feminine qualities. They are completely aware of how attractive they are and refuse to compromise that knowledge for anyone, especially men who are romantically or sexually interested in them. This is a huge shift from the culture of the “girl next door” archetype being considered as the most beautiful and worthy of romantic pursuit. The difference is the baddie’s acceptance of one’s self-worth and sex appeal versus the denial or suppression of them.

election hero images copy
HCM Design
The confidence associated with a baddie seems to move from the outside in – starting with precise makeup and a tight-fitting outfit, then moving inwards to increase self-esteem. Form-fitting clothes are also arguably a representation of a movement wherein women reclaim their sexuality by objectifying themselves before anyone else can.

However, there is a dark side of this culture that has been heavily criticized by women of colour, specifically black women. White or lighter-skinned baddies have been described as playing “cultural dress-up” by emphasizing elements of black culture that would be considered “ghetto” if worn by a darker-skinned woman. In other words, hood blackness is deemed to be ghetto, while racially ambiguous girls or white girls following the same trends are praised. The most prominent example of this concept is white Instagram models and reality stars wearing cornrows, which has especially been controversial with the Kardashian and Jenner family.

The emersion of baddie culture can be empowering and inspiring for women who are actually being represented in the movement and has shifted power dynamics when it comes to portraying traditionally feminine qualities online.

If the trend continues, I hope that those involved become aware of its roots in cultural appropriation, and understand that these trends have been present in the black community for decades. So much credit is due to women who have been braiding their hair, beating their faces, and dripping in confidence before baddies ever existed.

Alysha Mohamed

Queen's U '22

Queen's University. Writing, creating, and probably drinking chai.
HC Queen's U contributor