This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

House hunting in Kingston can be stressful, and now is the time that many people start looking for places to rent for the upcoming school year. There are many different houses and landlords out there, and while some are better than others, it’s important to find a place that you’ll feel happy and healthy in. Here are some tips for how to find the right house for you!

1. Use online resources

There are multiple different online sites that can be amazing for finding homes. Some property management websites include HighPoint Property Management, Frontenac, Panadew, and Reid Properties, just to name a few. These websites often have lots of pictures to give you an idea of the property before contacting the landlord. Kijiji also has a ton of listings posted by independent landlords, which can also be an awesome resource!

2. Rent to match your lifestyle

There are many different neighbourhoods in Kingston, with some areas being louder than others. Streets like Aberdeen, for example, are known for throwing massive parties throughout the year for Queen’s homecoming and St. Patrick’s day; if you’re not big into partying this may not be the place for you. You may also want to consider how far your place is from downtown, since streets near Princess St. may be louder on weekend nights. This is definitely super important to keep in mind if you’re a light sleeper– you don’t wanna miss out on your beauty sleep all year!

3. Research your landlords

Before you sign a house, please make sure to do your research on the landlord you’re signing with. There’s lots of forums and posts online that highlight the pros and cons of different landlords. You want to make sure you’re with someone reliable, especially if you’re a first time home renter! An ideal landlord will respect you and help with any issues around the house.

4. Take pictures of the house on your tour

If you get the chance to tour a property, it’s important to take photos as you are walking around the home. This will help you later when you and your housemates discuss any possible issues with the house, or what parts you each liked about it. Photos can even help reveal issues like water damage, for example, and may help you make a more informed decision about your future potential home.

5. Don’t stress too much

Many people get super stressed out during this time and worry that they won’t be able to find a place to live; however, this is not the case at all. A lot of people aren’t even legally obliged to inform their landlord if they’re moving out until December or January, so if you haven’t found a place before exams end please don’t worry too much! There is a ton of available housing in Kingston and you will eventually find a place where you can live happily and comfortably!

Eirinn Chisholm

Queen's U '21

My name is Eirinn and I'm 21 years old. Thank you for checking out my writing here on Her Campus :)