This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

As November winds down and December begins, I can’t help but think about what gifts I want to get my family this holiday season. I’ll admit, I LOVE shopping, so gift buying is usually easy for me. Recently, however, I’ve been thinking about the impact of my consumer choices on both the environment, as well as working conditions of those who make the products that I wear. For that reason, I’ve created a list of several brands that have adopted sustainable practices, as well as companies who do not rely on animal testing, all to ensure that you find the best gift– or maybe a little something for yourself– this holiday season. Although a lot of sustainable fashion brands are more expensive, supporting fair employee wages and investing in long-lasting products are definitely worth the extra cash.

Clothes:

1. Everlane

They sell loads of cute basics like wool turtlenecks, silk button downs and simple t-shirts; you’ll always find a gift that someone will love at Everlane. On their website you can read up on the company’s policies about their factory facilities. They are also extremely transparent when it comes to discussing their sustainable practices, as well as product prices. Although Everlane is not the cheapest brand, they make their products from high quality materials that will last forever.

2. Raven and Lilly

This brand sells pretty much everything,– from clothes to jewelry to hand bags– all of which are made by 1500 women around the globe. Raven and Lilly’s main message is to empower women by paying them a fair, sustainable income to benefit them and their families. Their clothes include some beautiful flowy dresses, pants in simple colours and shades, as well as jewelry and bags that are both unique and simple.

3. Reformation

Reformation is an American brand that is super sustainable in many ways. They prioritize sustainable energy use, in addition to the proper treatment of their workers. On their website, they also mention that they pay an above-minimum employee wage and are working toward eventually providing workers with full health benefits and 100% living wages. Their clothes are high quality, trendy and most importantly, sustainable.

4. Frank & Oak

A Canadian Brand who focuses on ethically sourced and sustainably made clothing? You can’t really ask for more. Frank & Oak started in Montreal; now you can find them in malls and stores all across Canada! They have a huge variety of products to choose from, so you’ll be able to find something that suits you or your loved ones. They also sell lingerie if you’re looking for an alternative to shopping at Victoria’s Secret… Bonus!

Cosmetics:

I also wanted to touch on some ethically sourced cosmetic brands. While I personally think that animal testing plays a huge role in ethical shopping habits, many people may not be aware of what companies actually test on animals.

1. Lush Cosmetics

Lush Cosmetics is pretty mainstream brand, considering its popularity, yet some people may not be aware of the awesome message that they promote. Lush is dedicated to buying products that are ethically sourced and building relationships with  those who create the products. They also give customers the option to purchase items without packaging to help reduce waste, while also being committed to not testing any of their products on animals. If you ask me… it doesn’t get much better than this!

2. Urban Decay

Urban Decay is a brand that’s committed to their values when it comes to animal testing. They have tons of makeup to choose from, all of which are vegan and cruelty-free. Some of my favourite products are their Naked palettes and setting sprays that help me to create amazing makeup looks, while also being an ethical consumer.

3. The Body Shop

Ever since its opening in 1976, The Body Shop has been committed to adopting the most ethical practices when creating their products. They have a strong focus on avoiding animal testing and pursuing environmental sustainability. Purchasing their products that contain shea even benefits the female employees who harvest the shea butter! The Body Shop has tons of different products; again, you can be sure to find exactly what you’re looking for.

There are so many other brands out there that are committed to sustainable and ethical practices; finding them is as easy as a Google search. Although it’s sometimes difficult to prioritize buying sustainably made products while on a budget, doing so is a long-term investment that makes a huge impact. Your choices may seem insignificant, yet they help to reinforce the notion that moving toward ethically sourced and sustainably made products is the way to go.

Eirinn Chisholm

Queen's U '21

My name is Eirinn and I'm 21 years old. Thank you for checking out my writing here on Her Campus :)