This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

The month of October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, however, there should be more than one month to address this disease. The conversation of breast cancer should be ongoing to show support and defeat the stigma surrounding the illness. Thus, lets combat this disease as best as we can with sharing knowledge and supporting one another through the battle of breast cancer. 

What is Breast Cancer?

Let’s begin with the process of cancer itself. Cancer is a genetic disease, meaning that cancer is caused by changes to genes that control the way our cells function–especially how they grow and divide. Cancer is when cells become abnormal, such as old or damaged cells surviving when they should die, and new cells forming when they’re not needed. When these extra cells continue to divide without stopping, they’ll form growths called tumours. Malignant tumours are cancerous ones and can spread to nearby tissues. As these malignant tumours grow, some of the cancer cells can break off, spread through the body and form new tumors (National Cancer Institute). Regarding cancer in the breast, typically the cancer begins in cells that line the ducts (which are the tubes that carry milk from the glands to the nipple). Breast cancer can also develop first in the cells of the lobules, which are the groups of glands that make milk. Both of these types of breast cancer can either be situ (stay where it formed) or invasive (grow into surrounding tissues) (Canadian Cancer Society). Lastly, it’s the norm to believe it’s only women who are diagnosed with breast cancer, however this isn’t true–anyone can develop breast cancer.

row of balloons
Photo by Amy Shamblen on Unsplash

How Do I Check My Breasts?

For reasons as detecting breast cancer, it’s important to know your body and continuously be exploring it. Early detection of breast cancer raises your chances of discovering the disease in the early stages and having a greater outcome. It should be more widely known and accepted to begin early detection for breast cancer at a young age–because it does happen. A method to detect breast cancer early on is with a breast self-examination. Look to the diagrams below for a visual representation, however, you should be aware if there is a difference in size or shape, redness or rash, discharge, swelling, a lump or thickening, change in skin texture, nipple becomes inverted, and/or constant pain in the breast. These are symptoms to watch out for and if any arises, it would be best to get in touch with your doctor.

Tapestry Bare Back Blonde Girl 1
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

Anna Labriola — A True Fighter

As I said, we should share our experience with breast cancer in hopes to reduce the stigma around the illness and have people feel more comfortable in receiving help and support. Furthermore, having conversations about this disease can limit the power it has over us mentally and eliminate the feeling of being so helpless in the face of it. Anna Labriola, my nonna (grandmother), passed away from breast cancer almost 10 years ago now, at the age of 56. Despite how much time has passed, I still miss her every day. She was an incredible woman and didn’t, among many others, deserve to go through the devastating illness. However, through her battle she was extremely strong. When she was first diagnosed with breast cancer, her prognosis was about 3 months and she instead lived for about a year and a half–a miracle, some would say. In addition to her strong spirit, the support of her family and healthcare professionals gave her that extra time with her loved ones– that I was, and still am, very grateful for. Unfortunately, my nonna wasn’t able to live on past this illness, however this doesn’t mean that others can’t. Continuously more people are giving donations, becoming involved and supporting individuals experiencing breast cancer. Hopefully by enacting these initiatives we can become closer to obtaining a future without breast cancer.

Ways to Give

Donations are extremely helpful with combating breast cancer! An excellent organization to donate to is The Canadian Cancer Society, as they help those affected by cancer in many different ways. For example, last year Queen’s ASUS Orientation Week raised donations for this organization and CCS put the money towards the opening of a Wig Lending Library, improved the volunteer-based Wheels of Hope Program (individuals drive those who don’t have means of transportation to and from their appointments) and supported research on Leukemia! The money raised by O-Week was a grand amount, however, ANY amount donated truly makes the difference in those who are in need of it. Another way you can contribute is by holding fundraisers! Fundraisers are a great way to receive donations while giving out informative knowledge about the cause. You can also be as creative as you want with fundraisers! Get some friends together and hold a bake sale! Have a car wash! Sell pink scrunchies! The possibilities are endless.

Pink piggy bank with pink background
Pixabay - Quince Media

Ways to Get Involved

There are many ways to get involved with breast cancer awareness! You could participate in BRA Day! BRA (Breast Reconstruction Awareness) Day is an initiative that promotes education, awareness and access for women considering post-mastectomy breast reconstruction.

You could also become involved in the annual ‘CIBC For the Cure’ run in October. Participating in this run is a great way to involve many people, and raise as much money as you can–well having a ton of  fun! For the run, you pinkify your entire self and run (or walk) your heart out!

Lastly, another great event is Mudmoiselle, it’s a 5K obstacle course, and it is the filthiest, muckiest and slimmiest track to run on! Let your inner child run free, get dirty and help fight for a cure! 

These are only a few ways to get involved, however the list is endless. Many events and fundraisers are held to show support, so get out there and give your positive energy and love to those in need!

Two Women on Balcony
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

Ways to Support

Pinkify yourself and your possessions! Pink is known to be an associated colour with breast cancer and combining the colour with the pink ribbon is a great sign of support for breast cancer. By wearing pink, it’s not only a public display of supporting those affected by breast cancer, however, it also lets others know they are not alone in this battle.

Share stories! Talk about your experience with breast cancer. When you engage in these conversations, it reduces stigma towards the disease and encourages involvement to a future without breast cancer. By sharing your experience, not only are you supporting others who are also experiencing the disease, however, you’re also influencing others to help support funding. 

Empower those who have a connection to the disease! Make them feel that they’re not powerless in this battle and to keep pushing forward through the difficult times. Let them know there are many support systems around them who are wanting to help! Supporting those affected by breast cancer can happen in many ways–big or small. Even just offering a smile and a shoulder to learn on, can make all the difference in the world.

woman with highlight on her cheek
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Let’s Fight this Together!

We are stronger together in the face of this disease! Support the people around you and let them know they’re not alone. There’s information which can be learned to prevent this disease, as best as one can, and treatment to combat the illness! Get involved to bring awareness, rather that be wearing pink, participating in a run or donating 5 dollars to a charity–they all make a difference. There are many options in the fight against breast cancer and most importantly, no one is truly alone–support is all around. Hopefully in the near future, we can live in a world that is breast cancer free.

Erica Labriola

Queen's U '21

Erica Labriola is studying English Literature and Psychology at Queen’s University. She loves reading, F.R.I.E.N.D.S, and oat matcha lattes (with extra vanilla).
HC Queen's U contributor