The Fresh Start You Didn’t Know You Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

With the first day of spring just behind us, a new season of life has begun. For some, this emotes imagery of blooming flowers or baby animals. For others, this prompts a clean-out of everything in sight. No matter what, the birth of spring brings growth, transformation and renewal to each and every organism on Earth.

Lately, I’ve been considering what the springtime means to me. While I usually pass through this season without a second thought, I’m eager to break this chain. I want to genuinely appreciate the hope of spring by reviving all areas of my life. In doing so, I hope to come out of the season with a fresh perspective on the world and a better version of myself. This spring, I’m committing to focusing on myself – and I encourage you to do the same.

The first step I’m taking is towards living a more minimalistic life. This is something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time, and with the school year coming to an end, I will finally have a chance. After watching Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things on Netflix, I am more inspired than ever. I’ve learned that minimalism is not just about having less “things” – it’s also a journey towards increased freedom and fulfillment. By minimalizing our lives, we can reclaim our time, focus on our growth and discover our purpose. Essentially, by decluttering our lives, we can prioritize what’s most important.

Photo courtesy of Unsplash

Personal wellness is another area that I’m focusing on this spring. Whether this be through meditation, eating, exercising or sleep, I’m wanting to care for mind and my body as best as I can. By incorporating healthy habits into your routine and setting goals, the path to personal wellness can be fun, gratifying and energizing. Lately, I’ve been using an app called Headspace to start a guided meditation practice. By taking a few moments out of each day to embrace stillness and focus on myself, my stress and anxiety levels have reduced significantly. Starting with a small habit, like meditation, can lead to so many benefits in the future.

My final “spring cleaning” emphasis is not so much on myself as it is on my loved ones. When life gets busy, it can be easy to neglect relationships – whether they’re with siblings, parents, friends or significant others. However, taking the time to truly show that you care can make a significant difference in both your life and the lives of those around you. So, whenever you have a moment, give your grandmother a phone call, treat your bestie to a coffee or give your dog some extra cuddles. Whatever showing care means to you, do it. Soon enough, your heart will be filled to the brim with love.

Photo courtesy of Unsplash

While I’ve mentioned just a few of the ways you can revive your life this spring, I encourage you to expand on this list. The possibilities are absolutely endless: start a new hobby, organize your finances, give yourself a makeover…do whatever makes you happy. Ultimately, the springtime brings countless opportunities for flourishment and prosperity – and I urge you to take advantage of them.