This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

I have always been a firm believer that the way you choose to present yourself to the world influences the way you walk through it. I want to preface that despite my focus on fashion, an expression of yourself is not confined within your external appearance but encompasses the way in which you carry yourself. As we live in a society that constantly scrutinizes and prioritizes one’s appearance, what gets lost in translation is that fashion is about who you are, who you want to be and what you want to wear; it is as simple as that. Forget about all of the societal standards that dictate what makes something ‘fashionable’ or what clothing a certain individual should wear based on their size or gender, your fashion is an extension of you.

Houcine Ncib via Unsplash

Fashion Is Function. 

Fashion bridges physical materials and your character, telling the story of your own internal dispositions. To some, fashion is thought of as a surface level, superficial obsession with your clothing and appearance, however, it is in fact a complex art form that celebrates individuality and manifests the self. It has become a way to engage with the world, yet the power and purpose of fashion are different all over the globe. For some, fashion is a tool to reflect an individual’s beliefs, whether they be social, cultural or spiritual. Take henna and wearing jewelry that utilizes the cross as an example. To some, these are simply just accessories. For individuals of this faith or culture, the use of henna and cross jewelry extends beyond any form of self-expression or fashion to symbolize something greater than themselves. It has become a connection between one’s community, themselves and tradition. Fashion has likewise become a livelihood where imagination and artistry come to life; you can even take it a step further to say, at times, it is escapism. These individuals are able to craft themselves or someone through impermanent means, such as makeup or clothing, in order to temporarily bring an emotion or concept to life. This mindset does not solely exist within the world of high fashion but breathes within the everyday person who uses elements such as makeup and clothing to design and create. Fashion always serves a function, even for those who do not actively care about what they wear or fashion in general. When you choose to acknowledge that fashion is more than luxury or choosing what to wear each day, you will come to understand that why you wear something is just as important as what you wear. 

Photo by Milena Hasvil from Pexels

Fashion is Authenticity.   

Fashion being true to yourself and being original. It is fairly easy to tell when someone feels confident or uncomfortable simply by watching their behaviour. It is undeniable that your appearance is the first impression someone makes of you as it is the first thing they see, however one of the easiest ways to feel comfortable in your own skin is through your clothes. You should always be dressing to self-impress. Fashion is a celebration of individual beauty and strength. We all have different tastes and preferences when it comes to fashion, but what other people think about your style should never impact the way that you feel about yourself and your outfits. One way that I continue to find and explore my personal style is by drawing inspiration from different celebrities I follow on Instagram, such as Hailey Bieber. She most certainly has been the muse for a number of my outfits; however, I always find a way to put my own flair on it. Being authentic does not mean that you cannot draw inspiration from others. The artistry comes from the little pieces of yourself that you put into your look. Do not stay within the boundaries of what you think is safe. Fashion has never been about copying someone else’s style. You do not need to define your fashion based on what is trendy or what you see your favourite celebrity wearing. The unique thing about fashion is that we can all own the same white top and blue jeans but we are able to make it our own. Be bold and more importantly, be yourself.

black woman with long blond braids smiling outside
Photo by Neemias Seara from Pexels

Fashion is Expression.

As fashion is an expression of oneself, it is undeniable that your style will continue to evolve as you grow. It will fluctuate on a daily basis based on external factors such as the weather or the occasion and internal factors such as your thoughts, feelings or mood. So how do you find your style when there are countless threads of fashion and aesthetics? The simplest answer is to step out of your comfort zone, challenge your perspective and introduce yourself to new styles. Would a runner enjoy running the same path every day for the rest of their life? Presumably not. It is important to note that there is a difference between defining and finding your style. ‘Defining your style’ enforces the expectation to classify yourself within a particular aesthetic such as bohemian, vintage, preppy or grunge. ‘Finding your style’ is a fluid concept that challenges you to continue uncovering a new outlook on yourself and the world around you. It took time for me to understand that I am not bound to one style or aesthetic. There are days where I feel most powerful in a daring dress paired with pumps and others where I feel confident in something simple like jeans with an oversized hoodie and sneakers. I challenge you to go to a store and mix what you consider your style with another style that you have always found cool but didn’t think you could pull off, and see what you create. Don’t be afraid to try something new because oftentimes the result will surprise you. Fashion is powerful in the hands of those who are brave enough to explore who they are while never shying away from who they could be. 

Woman in red two piece set looking away from camera
Photo by Melody Jacob from Unsplash
Fashion is a breathing institution. It is a statement that says “This is who I am and I don’t give a f**k about what the rest of the world thinks. Nothing and no one else’s opinions matter”. Fashion has and will forever be subjective and limitless. It is an instrument of influence and power. It is a creative way of introducing yourself to the world. It is an armour that fosters self-confidence. It is a mindset and a social language. 

Never doubt the power of a fearless outfit and the person wearing it. 

Thalia Anobile

Queen's U '21

Thalia Anobile is the Campus Correspondent in her fifth year at Queen's University.
HC Queen's U contributor