Fall? Winter? Fashion Advice for the In-Between

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

“What should I wear? Sweats? A dress? No, nothing will do. Let me check the weather…hm…9 degrees?! How on earth do I dress for 9 degrees?”

Ladies (and gents!), the fall/winter transition season is upon us and well, this means that the season of weather-confused outfits is also here. It’s the norm to see someone rocking a heavy winter jacket at the same time another girl walks by wearing a skirt with knee-highs. If you’re like me, you don’t want to be too warm or too cold, hence why I’m here to reveal my top fall/winter transition fashion advice. 

Tip One: Layer Like There’s No Tomorrow

If you’re like me, you love your tank tops and crop tops and realize that you don’t want to put them away for the season (especially that cute one you got on sale last week!). So, in order to combat this realization, you need to get more clothes. What? Shop for more? Well, the fall/winter transition weather is PERFECT for layering.  Go out to H&M or Forever 21 or any other of your favourite stores and grab a few basics and get creative. Make sure you have some cardigans, long sleeved t-shirts, scarves, and sweaters. Now, you can wear your favourite crop top and give it a little twist for the fall. Plus, a bonus of having many basic and layering pieces is that you can create a plethora of outfits! Mixing and matching have never been easier.

Tip Two: Earth Tones are Your Best Friend

‘Tis the season to channel your inner earth goddess and embrace the tones of nature. I find that the best colours for fall are the pleasing palate of forests and trees and everything else that comes to mind when you think nature in the fall. My personal favourite colours are olive green and burnt orange. These colours are versatile and very easy to pair up with each other. I also find that adding an accent colour to a neutral outfit will create interest and make your outfit the next level. My go-to combination is beige and white with accents of red and gold (I have a killer scarf that pulls it all together).

Tip Three: Accessorize

Scarves, cut wool socks, mittens, hats, and boots are the big deal right now. They can change up outfits and create interest. Scarves are my favourite because they are just so pretty and flowy and make an outfit go from cute to even cuter. Don’t be afraid to experiment with colour in your accessories. And of course, make sure you don’t overdo them either because accessory overload is a real thing.