Wellness

Essential Oils to Help Get You Through the Rest of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

You might not believe in aromatherapy, and I can’t say that I wholeheartedly believe in it either. However, it does provide me with some comfort; so whether it’s the pleasant scent, placebo effect or the essential oils at work, I still choose to use it. I’m not big into aromatherapy and by no means am I an expert, but I find that the essential oils listed below can be helpful throughout the semester, either for relieving stress or making it easier to fall asleep at night.

Lavender 

Lavender is probably the most well known oil used to combat stress. It promotes relaxation and is believed to help with mild anxiety and insomnia. It is suggested that lavender helps with relaxation/anxiety by lowering blood pressure and heart rate. Either way, having its calming scent fill my room while studying or falling asleep isn’t the worst thing.

Rose 

Rose oil, like lavender, is believed to help with stress, sleep and anxiety. If you’re someone who is not fond of lavender, this may be a nice alternative for you. Personally, I prefer to use this sweet-smelling oil when I wake up during the night and have trouble falling back asleep rather than while studying, but I’m sure it would have the same calming effect doing any activity.

Bergamot

Bergamot oil, similar to rose and lavender oil, is a good oil for stress as well. It reduces feelings of anxiety and fatigue, but unlike rose and lavender oil, it has a citrus scent. Bergamot oil is extracted from the rinds of a citrus fruit, and this citrus scent is believed to be an added mood booster and promotes feelings of happiness and energy.

Peppermint

Peppermint oil isn’t used for relieving stress or improving sleep quality, but for muscle pain and headaches. As someone who carries a lot of my stress in my neck and shoulders, peppermint oil can be quite helpful. It feels very cool and refreshing when applied to sore muscles, and it can also help relieve headaches when applied to your temples and the back of your neck. 

Jae Makitalo

Queen's U '21

Queen's Computing
HC Queen's U contributor