This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

I have grown immensely over the last decade. Starting 2010 as an almost 11-year-old and ending it as an almost 21-year-old, the 2010s was an amazing decade to experience as a young person. I was able to experience the age of the internet, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook–just some of the social media platforms that have grown exponentially as I have. Therefore, I wanted to list some of my favourite memories over the past 10 years from my childhood into my adulthood, to reflect on everything that I am grateful for in this decade.

1. My first One Direction concert

One Direction was the boyband that defined an era. Their music characterized my tween years and I admittedly was a huge fan. I remember my first concert of theirs was at the Molson Canadian Amphitheatre (now Bud Light) in Toronto and my friend and I at the time made tee shirts. It was one of the first concerts I went to without my parents and I had never been more excited in my life. That concert started my fan-girl era and I connected with many new friends because of their music. In fact, I still listen to Harry Styles today! 

2. My first school dance

I went to an all-girls school from Grade 7-10 and this meant school dances with boys schools. Your tween years are always super awkward, which was no different for me. I have always been tall and therefore was taller than almost every boy my same age. I never really got asked to dance by any boys at these events for this reason (lol), but I always loved getting ready with my friends and the excitement of taking the buses to these events. I look back on these memories fondly because at the time I was always so worried that no one would ever like me because of my height, but boys have now grown to be taller than me and I have never loved my 5’9 self more than I do now. 

3. My exchange to Perth, Australia

In Grade 9, I was selected to go on exchange to another girls’ school in Perth for three months. This was the first time I had ever been alone for an extended period of time without my family. I was pretty scared. However, I met the most amazing people and got to see a beautiful country, one of which I may not be able to go back to for another decade. I learned a lot about independence and responsibility. I am so thankful that I have been able to undergo these experiences.

4. Meeting my best friend, Lauren

My years at a girls’ school were not easy, but that hardship helped me form a bond with someone who I cherish a lot. Over the past decade, even as we switched to different high schools and different universities, we have continued to stay best friends and I know that she will be my friend for life.

5. Switching high-school in grade 12

I decided after my grade 10 year that I wanted to switch to a public school, and this was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. Because I had enough high school credits, I was able to skip my grade 11 year and go straight into grade 12. I met people at this school who I think will be lifelong friends and I am forever grateful that they are part of my life to this day. 

6. Coming to university a year early

Because I only did three years of high school, I had to make the decision if I wanted to go to University early, or take time off. I decided to go to university early, and I am so happy I did. I met two of my best friends on my floor, and have made so many memories over the past four years. There have been plenty of ups and downs throughout, but I have grown and matured so much more from everything that I have experienced. 

7. Making the decision to do a 5th year 

This year, I made the decision to take a 5th year of University. I feel that as young people, we are pressured so much to figure out what we want to do, where we want to go with our degrees, and honestly, I still have no idea what path it is that I want to take. Making the decision to stay for a 5th year has taken so much pressure off of me to make these rushed decisions, and I know that the extra year will only serve to benefit myself and my mental wellbeing. 

All in all, this decade has been a whirlwind and it feels as though it has gone by in the blink of an eye. I am so excited to see what the next decade will bring and I wish everyone a happy new year!

Eirinn Chisholm

Queen's U '21

My name is Eirinn and I'm 21 years old. Thank you for checking out my writing here on Her Campus :)
HC Queen's U contributor