Coffee for Thought

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Going back to school means packing, shopping, and maybe a final few summer nights spent reminiscing the memories made over the past four months. But if there’s one thing I’ve learned about going back to school from getting halfway through my undergrad, it’s to be prepared for long caffeinated nights and the early morning classes that many of us barely make it through (if we make it at all). Nespresso and Starbucks can only get you so far before you’re sick of instant coffee mixes and your student budget’s had enough damage done from your splurges on lattes and flat whites.

When I’m at home over the summer, my go-to for the best brews are without a doubt the few select coffee bars around Toronto.  Kingston has its fair share of cute coffee shops and caffeine stops, but what we have in town still doesn’t quite match up to a Blue Bottle Coffee Co or Dineen for me. That being said, no matter where I am, there’s still nothing that beats a freshly brewed cup of my favourite brew right at home. It’s comforting, aromatic, the perfect balance between bitter and savory, and of course, awakening. Whether it’s during the quieter hours of the morning right before my first class or later in the evening during a study break, a quality cup of coffee never fails to brighten up the mood. And trust me when I say that’s something you’ll be yearning for when the winter season hits Kingston.

If you think you’ll be having more than just a few late nights over the next year (or if you’re just a coffee-addict like me), then making coffee at home is an option that’s worth investing in. Brewing your own cup is not nearly as big of a struggle as you might think, and might even save you some money in the longer run.

Kicking Horse Coffee has whole bean coffee readily available to be purchased at the Metro closest to campus. While my go-to Kicking Horse brew is the popular Three Sisters medium roast, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the Grizzly Claw for a richer dark roast and a taste of Central and South America. Whole bean coffee is what you’ll need for a fresher and stronger taste and a better flush of all the flavorful nuances from the beans you buy. But if you’re not ready to commit to adding an extra appliance to the stack of dishes piling up in your kitchen, most (if not all) coffee brands you’ll find in the grocery store also sell pre-grounded coffee that’ll save you that extra step.

Brewing the perfect cup is about ensuring quality but also simplicity in each of the next steps. Start by boiling two cups (500mL) of filtered water (and if you’re not convinced that tap water isn’t sufficient, try brewing a cup of each and seeing if you can spot out the differences).

Measure out about 15 grams of your coffee beans for a good ratio of coffee-to-water. If it’s not pre-grounded, then ground your beans to be rather coarse. I use half of the boiled water to heat my coffee mug and French Press, before emptying them back out to refill your plunger with the ground coffee. Add water and time your brew to be about three to four minutes.

Your favourite local coffee shops might also sell packaged coffee that you can bring with you on your way back to Queen’s. While I’d always recommend stocking up for the late nights you’ll spend cramming, studying, or writing thousand-word essays, make sure you check the expiry dates on your coffee beans as they don’t have the longest of shelf-lives. Moreover, it’s important to seal your bags of coffee beans tightly. This is also an excuse to buy one of the cute mason jars you’ve been eyeing at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

I followed this brewing guide to survive my second year at Queen’s. While it might not seem like it’d make a significant difference, brewing your cup of coffee with quality supplies, the right timing, and right ratio of coffee to water can make all the difference in the taste and subtleties that coffee has to offer.   

HC Queen's U contributor