diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Cleaning House: How to Have a Less Painful Move in the Ghetto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

The month of April can be stressful, to say the least. Despite classes being over, final assignment deadlines are still looming overhead and exams are imminent. For those of us who are lucky enough to be graduating or to merely be moving to a new house in the University District, the month of April also signifies the last month of the lease in our beloved student homes, and the month where we need to pack up and move out, making the last month of school more hectic than it needs to be. From a student who has moved out of a few different student houses, here are a few tips to help make your move-out a little easier.

1. Start packing early

Go to the LCBO and get some boxes as early as you can and start packing up books that you won’t be reading, or clothes that you won’t wear for the last month. This way, you can pack little bits at a time, and don’t have to worry about throwing all your stuff in boxes at the very last minute.

2. Label EVERYTHING

This will prevent you from having to dig through random boxes to find one thing, and will also help you stay organized when trying to figure out what you want to take with you to your next place, as well as what you won’t need.

3. Throw stuff out

This is so liberating. That dress that doesn’t fit anymore, those notes from that second-year elective you took, and the decorations from your housemate’s 20th birthday party… if you don’t need them, they can be easily donated or recycled. This will greatly reduce the amount of stuff that needs to be transported.

4. Have your parents move stuff you don’t need early on

Not all students will have the luxury of parents that live close to us, but if you do, take advantage of it. I was lucky enough to have my mom drive up to take random stuff I wasn’t using in my last month of second year back to her place so I wouldn’t have to deal with moving it out at the last minute. This is the chance to clear out your O-week coveralls, winter coats, textbooks you aren’t using anymore, and any surpluses of towels or bedsheets. This makes for a lighter load come moving day.

Cassidy McMackon is a fourth year philosophy student at Queen's University, and Vice President of the Her Campus Queen's U chapter. She loves coffee, bubble baths, and can most often be found in Douglas Library or Balzac's coffee shop with her nose in a book.