Child Poverty in the First and Third Worlds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Living in a global society, I have always been interested in learning about cultures and bridging the gap between first and third world nations. I’ve involved myself in charitable activities for impoverished children since elementary school. I’ve spoken at school assemblies, held fundraisers, and planned school events for organizations such as Free the Children, UNICEF, and Rotary International. However, I didn’t truly understand child poverty until I saw it first-hand.

Delhi’s streets were lined with young beggars. Children helplessly beseeched commuters jammed in the sprawl of traffic. Parents stood away from the road, hoping someone would take pity on their young. A young girl approached our vehicle, hands outstretched, pleading for money. She was incredibly thin, with unkempt hair and listless eyes. My mother passed me several banknotes, and I carefully handed them to the girl. With an expression of pure glee, she ran to her mother, thrusting the banknotes in the air.

I was shocked to have a similar experience a few weeks later in a Paris café. Three boys approached my table, waving newspapers in front of my face. As they moved away, I saw the glint of my cell phone in the tallest boy’s hand. I grabbed my phone from the young thief’s hand, and the trio ran frightened from the room. The entire scene was a blur, and I’m still unable to describe the appearance of the boys except for one unusual feature: their faces were covered in bruises and cuts.

After researching French demographics, I discovered the boys were likely part of the large number of homeless children within Paris, the majority of whom are Roma. These children have a record-low literacy rate and often resort to crime in order to support themselves. Education is not an option when staying alive is a priority.

These incidents left a permanent mark on me. As someone who has been privileged with an excellent education, it outrages me that not all children have the opportunity to learn. These children may never rise out of their circumstance because they do not have the tools to lift themselves up. I refuse to believe we live in a world where our futures must be predetermined by where and when we were born. I envision a society where every child has equal opportunities through the power of education.

To make an impact, one must follow one’s passion; this is why I plan to combine my passions of helping others and business. I believe that one can have a social impact by making others aware of the economic resources available within their society and providing business services to those less fortunate. I am confident that I can use my passion to make the world better, and a good education is the foundation for making this dream come true.