Campus Cutie: Sarah Flisikowski

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

I had the pleasure of meeting Sarah this year in my LAW 201 tutorial. Before that, though, I heard about her (at the time, not knowing that this was the same person) from one of my housemates. Sarah was my housemate’s OC for orientation week this year, and every time she talks about her, she only has the absolute nicest things to say. Sarah seems always to have this amazing, contagious, positive energy, and I truly think our school has been improved by her presence at it. So without further ado, please enjoy getting to know a bit more about this lovely human.

Year and Area(s) of Study: Third Year Life Sciences

Hometown: The Limestone City, a.k.a Kingston, ON

If I offered to retrieve or make you any drink right now, what would you order?

Alcoholic? Smirnoff Ice, a frozen margarita, or QP Tropical Sangria (with extra maraschino cherries).

Non-alcoholic? Chocolate milk, root beer, or a fruit smoothie.

A few of your favourite things?  

Flamingos, the colour red, “My Heart Will Go On,” fireworks, Kraft Dinner, Princess Peach, peonies, the Wilton Cheese Factory, fall leaves, reggae, Titanic, my feather pillow, hot sauce, and holidays (including but not limited to Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, and April Fool’s Day).

What’s your kryptonite (if any) when it comes to procrastination?

ANYTHING Céline Dion. YouTube is a Pandora’s Box! Interviews, concert recordings, exclusive performances, awards shows, behind-the-scenes clips, chart-topping songs, pricing out a trip to Vegas to see her live… I’m still frustrated that I was too young to attend her world tours in 1998 and 2008. My Mom and I are planning to visit Vegas next year, once I’m 21. Céline, I’m coming for you!

What clothing item or accessory is a must-have for you?

A re-usable water bottle is a MUST have, always. I’m not much of a jewelry person but these days I never leave home without pearl earrings. One of my favourite pieces of clothing is my forest green Holy Cross Student Council crewneck from Grade 12. Footwear-wise, I fell in love with Blundstones this past winter. Also, much to the disapproval of my family and most friends, I always have been and always will be a proud Crocs owner.

What are you favourite daytime and nighttime spots in Kingston?

Daytime would be Lemoine Point Conservation Area, The P&CC, or the waterfront (especially at dusk).

Nighttime would be Cineplex Odeon, The Underground, or Coffee Way Donuts.

What’s your go-to dance move?

Over Reading Week, my family vacationed in Jamaica and apparently there my go-to dance move is called the “Dutty Wine”? My hair’s long at the moment so I love whipping it around LOL. Hair flipping pairs well with “Dancing Queen,” “Hotel California,” “Piano Man,” “Sorry,” “Work From Home,” and everything in between.

What’s your favourite thing to do on a rainy day?

As a lifeguard, I love water and swimming but hate being caught in the rain without proper footwear and an umbrella. An ideal rainy day would involve some guitar playing, reruns of SpongeBob SquarePants, Mario Kart, and a couple rounds of Apples To Apples. Always a good time to experiment in the kitchen and figure out when the skies are scheduled to clear.

What are you looking forward to (this summer, or next year, or in life…)?

My Grandpa (we call him Dziadek) is visiting from Poland for a month this summer! He is so patient, easy-going, and wise and he is truly one of my favourite people. I’m looking forward to practising and improving my Polish. A long-term goal is to become fluent as both my Mom’s and Dad’s sides are Polish and my Polish heritage is something I’m really proud of.

Who do you look up to?

My family is very important to me. Birthdays, anniversaries and holidays are not complete without aunts, uncles and cousins. My Mom, especially, is an amazing role model. She’s a big believer in “nothing ventured, nothing gained.” I’ve learned from her that there is no harm in trying, especially when you try your best. There is something positive to be extracted from every single experience. My Mom always puts others before herself. She always has answers for my twin brothers and I and is our number one fan. She shops better for myself than I do and I sometimes worry my housemates like her better than me.

What’s your favourite life hack or easy recipe?

With your freshly picked Macintosh apples, butter, oats, and a little bit of cinnamon, a simple and delicious apple crisp can be ready in minutes. It becomes so fragrant while baking and is really photogenic. My finished product tends to be heavy on the crisp!

What do you wish you knew in first year?

If I could have a pep talk with my first-year self, I’d stress the importance of taking chances, having hope, judging less, and putting oneself out there more. I wish I knew right away that my floormate Ellise Truong who lived two doors down from me in Chown would become one of my best friends. ALSO, taking Grade 11 American History instead of Grade 11 Physics WAS worth it, even though PHYS117 was a struggle and a half!

What’s been a standout or defining moment/experience for you in your time at Queen’s so far?

My involvement in ArtSci Orientation Week has really defined my Queen’s experience. The most difficult aspect of my Queen’s experience thus far that I continue to grapple with has been finding my niche. With so many people and opportunities for involvement, I was lost and overwhelmed upon arrival and desperately clung to my high school experiences. I deeply missed having personal connections with staff who motivated me to work hard and a core squad of lifelong friends whom I could count on seeing every day. Despite growing up in Kingston and living among students in residence, Queen’s initially felt lonely and alienating and nowhere near as satisfying, quaint, and supportive as high school. My roles a Gael, Orientation Coordinator, and now an Orientation Roundtable Director have connected me with others I never imagined I’d meet and gave me something specific to love about Queen’s. Each opportunity has been lifechanging and I am so grateful.

Two truths and a lie. Go! (Providing the answer is optional.)

Truth: I’ve had bangs forever and they are basically genetic.

Truth: I have twin brothers who just finished first year at Queen’s, and we put hot sauce on almost everything.

Lie: I know what I want to do with my future. Medicine? Law? Teaching? All of the above? None of the above? Only time will tell…

Tips to make any day a better day?

Take the scenic route to class. Scramble on U&U as often as possible. Say “hi” to friends you pass and don’t forget to thank them every once in a while, for anything and everything. Savour time alone as well as time with those who care about you. Stop and smell the flowers (or leaves, if you’re like me). Don’t take the natural beauty and vastness of Lake Ontario for granted. Try not to compare yourself to others and be mindful of time wasted on social media. Explore Kingston because there is so much more to this lovely city than Queen’s campus. Enjoy every sunset. When you want it the most, there’s no easy way out – be patient and enjoy the moment while you look forward to the future. Learn from the past but try not to dwell on it. Also, don’t wish time away because rumor has it that these several years are some of the best of our lives!

Laura Chiu

Queen's U '19

Laura is a senior studying commerce at Queen's University (Kingston, Ontario, Canada). Last year, she spent a semester abroad in Hong Kong, and is eternally dazzled by and grateful for the experience. In her spare time, you can find her singing with the Caledonias (an a cappella group), binge-watching YouTube videos, or making her way through her foodie bucket list.