Campus Cutie: Maddie Gaasenbeek

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Name: Maddie Gaasenbeek

Hometown: Toronto

Year/Program: Third Year Commerce

If you had to choose one word to describe yourself, what would it be?

Passionate – I like to fully immerse myself into everything that I do. I am enthusiastic and try my hardest in all my endeavours.

What drew you to attend Queen’s University?

Queen’s has an amazing culture. The combination of the people, the campus and the school spirit create an atmosphere that is welcoming and unparalleled. In addition, the commerce program was one of the main reasons I came to Queen’s. The program gives me access to many opportunities such as exchange abroad and recruitment. It also allows me to interact and work with like-minded and dedicated individuals.

Are you involved in any clubs associated with Queen’s?

My main involvement at Queen’s is with Queen’s Women in Leadership (Q.WIL). I was previously Sponsorship Coordinator and am currently the Director of Special Events and Outreach. Q.WIL hosts an annual conference that educates future leaders through discussion, exploration and inspiration. We work to empower females and to inspire them to pursue success. The inclusion of women in the workplace is much better than it used to be; however, there is still much to be done. It is important to join the conversation, to support each other, and to encourage the creation of equal opportunities for all.

What are some of your goals after you graduate Queen’s?

After graduation I hope to be doing something that makes me happy. I want to work at a company that aligns with my values and interests. Working for a fashion or lifestyle brand would be ideal. As well, I hope to travel and explore places that I have never been to.

How has Q.WIL changed your Queen’s university experience?

Being a part of Q.WIL has made me feel like I am a part of something bigger. It has allowed me to voice my opinion and to help create positive change. Q.WIL has taught me that women are allowed to be strong and confident. The executive team continues to inspire me and to show me what it means to be a WIL. I have learned that inequality exists and obstacles are inevitable; however, they should not hold you back from putting yourself out there and achieving your goals.

Social Media Manager for HerCampus at Queen's University