Campus Cutie: Karen Lee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

What year are you in at Queen’s U? What are you studying?

Third year; I’m in a Biopsychology specialization.

What is your most memorable childhood moment?

There was a family friend’s daughter who used to come home with us after school until her mom got off work. One day, we decided to trick her. We pretended that there was a thief trying to break into the house; we were home alone at the time. I locked myself in the bathroom and pretended that the thief did it. We convinced her that he was hiding somewhere in the house and she got really freaked out. I’m pretty sure she was about to cry, but we just kept going with it until the story wasn’t really believable anymore. It was so funny.

Where do you spend most of your time in Kingston?

Goodlife, Stauffer Library, and definitely at home. I also love to eat sushi at Saka. I study at Starbucks sometimes too, when I’m up for a coffee or snack.

What are your top priorities for this year?

To get better marks, to be happier with my self-image, and to meet more people. I want to get more involved in the community and expand my network. I’d also like to build upon time management, organization and prioritizing my responsibilities.

What is your biggest motivator in life?

The possibility of being able to have a positive effect on other people’s lives, but also to find myself through my own passions. I am motivated by self discovery and being able to connect with other individuals.

Do you have any tips for those who want to begin a more fit lifestyle?

Understand that your motivation is going to come and go, but it’s your discipline and goals that drive you to success. There are no shortcuts or easy ways of getting something that is worth having. Stop being a potato! Educate yourself; I think that so many people are uneducated when it comes to health and wellness. Some people just don’t know how to start, and when they do, they might be doing it wrong. Knowledge is power.

What makes you happy?

When I see other people happy. I love sitting back and seeing the world happen – taking the time to smell the roses. I think of all the things that I should be grateful for. I like to be able to explore the world freely without any given limitations. I’m happy when I feel powerful or confident, and when I strongly believe in something to the point where no one else can counteract my own beliefs because it just makes me feel like I’m right *laughs*. Obviously also doing the things that I love and learning new things. The most rewarding moments are when I can understand new information and actually apply it toward aspects of my life.

What is your biggest stress reliever?

Music, working out, and petting cats and dogs. I love being in nature, especially near a body of water. Something about the tranquility of water calms me down. Meditation and practicing mindfulness is key for stress relief. I also put life into perspective, because some people have it worse than I do, so I sometimes feel that I shouldn’t be complaining. But then again, that is always relative to each person too.

How do you treat yourself?

I get my nails done, I buy new clothing (generally workout clothing), I indulge in my favourite foods. I plan for things that I wouldn’t normally with my free time, such as going to the movies or rock climbing.

What is your life motto?

“Everyone dies, but not everybody lives.” The reason that this quotation speaks to me is because I feel like a lot of people do things that make them unhappy. I believe that this quote is trying to express how we all have a limited time and that we should make the most of it. Otherwise, by the time the end comes, it will be too late to realize that you didn’t do what you love. From that I would say that you cannot depend on other people or materialistic things to make you happy. Ultimately, you’re the only influencer of your own happiness. We should understand that all those factors alone mean nothing if you are not happy with who you are from within.

What is one of your funniest experiences here at Queen’s?

I’ve had a lot of good laughs with my friends in first year. My friend Claire and I tried to make bubble tea during the reading week and we didn’t follow the instructions properly. The tapioca balls ended up clumping together and looking like a huge turd in the pot. We still drank it, but it tasted awful. We also tried to make a healthier version by sweetening the tea with stevia. This is only one of my funnier memories at Queen’s.

A few “this or that” questions:

Cats or dogs?

I can’t choose between cats or dogs. I love both!

Coffee or tea?

It depends. If I add sugar then I prefer coffee. I like tea for times when I want to wind down or when I want to feel more sophisticated.

Meat or vegetables?

Meat over everything. It’s the reason why I could never go vegan. I only like vegetables because I know they’re good for you.

Cake or pie?

Pie. Especially pumpkin-flavoured.

What are the most important qualities that you must have in a partner?

To be open-minded, ambitious, driven, and curious. I need someone who understands my need to experience different cultures and ways of life. I also value patience and kindheartedness.