Life > Experiences

Black-Owned Businesses in Kingston that are Worth Checking Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

As Kingston embraces celebrations of Black History Month, it’s essential to spotlight the unique ways in which Black-owned businesses play a role in shaping the city’s economic and cultural landscape. From cozy bakeries to fitness studios, these businesses help create a diverse community that both students and locals get to be a part of.

With a student population that ebbs and flows, it’s important to take the time to experience what Kingston has to offer while we’re here, because if there is anything that I have learned from being an upper-year student, it’s that the years will fly by faster than you think. Now, to continue the Black History Month celebrations, here are four Black-owned businesses that are well worth checking out and supporting:

1. Kingston Shoe Repair

Kingston Shoe Repair offers a variety of services such as repair and alteration of footwear (including orthopaedic alteration), repair of leather goods, key cutting, and knife sharpening. Owner Rodney Sothmann has received rave reviews for his timely and good quality work. Not to mention, it’s conveniently located in the heart of downtown. Speaking as someone with a hole in their (expensive) Doc Martens, I will definitely be paying Rodney a visit.

2. Mo’s Dainty Bites

Mo’s Dainty Bites is a catering service that offers event catering, as well as pre-packaged and customizable boxes. They specialize in handheld pastries, including meat pies, sausage rolls, spring rolls, samosas, and fish rolls. However, the company is known for making a Nigerian pastry called “puff puff”, which is a ball of deep-fried dough dusted with powdered sugar that is commonly sold as street food across Africa. Additionally, the company’s customizable boxes offer great variety with both sweet and savoury treats. Check out their Instagram page (linked above) for information on limited-time offers!

3. F45 Kingston Downtown

F45 is a boutique fitness studio that offers high-intensity group workouts that are open to anyone on any fitness level. F45 brands itself as a place for community-building in which you can learn and grow with other members of the gym; ultimately leading you to become part of a dynamic gym community that can keep you motivated. I find that this collaborative approach to fitness is a breath of fresh air, especially given today’s epidemic of the loss of third places. Moreover, if you are looking to start working out on a more regular basis, attending a fitness studio like this one can provide you with an informed and approachable introduction.

4. Jerkebago

Jerkebago is a quaint Jamaican take-out spot located just outside of Kingston in the Bay of Quinte near Prince Edward County; therefore, making it an ideal road-trip stop. Jerkebago serves up delicious jerk chicken from a charcoal grill as well as Jamaican patties, plantain chips, rice and peas, and veggie burgers. The bright décor and friendly service contribute to an overall positive atmosphere. Though it’s temporarily closed at the moment, it’s a worthwhile spot to visit in the spring or summer.

With classes and work, it’s easy and tempting to stay within the campus bubble. And it’s even easier to stay home. However, it’s important to remember that the diverse, interesting, and charming local businesses that surround us all have something unique to offer. It’s important to give back to the community that we benefit from as students. So, this Black History Month, I encourage you to give back to Black business owners in Kingston to celebrate Black excellence and recognize the contributions that diverse entrepreneurs have made to make this small town a more vibrant place.

Emma Rychliwsky

Queen's U '25

Third-year environmental studies/education major and writer/editor of the Queen's HC chapter. I love to write about mental health, academics, music, and whatever I am thinking about that week :)