Birth Control: Should You Be on It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Photo By Willow David

The birth control pill became available in Canada over fifty years ago, and since then, close to half of women in Canada use the pill for protection against pregnancy or to regulate their menstrual cycle.

I am not even close to being an expert on the pill, but I have done my own research and I think it is the absolute best option for myself for multiple reasons. However, there are a fair number of girls who are sexually active but do not take the birth control pill.

Through e-mail, I interviewed the Sexual Health Resource Center about birth control, its benefits, risks and how one would go about getting on it.

Me:  Is it possible to go on the birth control pill without a prescription from a doctor?

The Expert Sexpert: No. The birth control pill requires a prescription from a doctor. This can be a family doctor, or a doctor at a sexual health clinic, like at KFL&A Public Health in Kingston. If you have been prescribed oral contraceptives before, and need an emergency prescription for a new package, a pharmacist may be able to do this. However, this method should not be relied on and should only be used for emergencies. Overall, it’s beneficial to talk to a doctor about the birth control pill to find which variety of pill will work for you best.

Me: Do you recommend females in college/university to be on the birth control pill, even if they are not sexually active? To expand, what if it’s a possibility they may become sexually active and are not on the pill? What are your thoughts/recommendations on that?

The Expert Sexpert: It really depends on the person, and what they’re looking for in a contraceptive. It’s completely valid for someone to take the birth control pill even if they aren’t currently engaging in activities that require contraception. For instance, some people take the pill for reasons other than as a contraceptive tool. It can help reduce menstrual bleeding and cramps, as well as help control acne. However, there can be negative effects from the pill as well, so the best option is for a person to discuss their options with their physician.

If someone is considering having sex, it’s important to consider that hormonal contraceptives like the pill can take a while to regulate, so it’s recommended to use a back up method (like a condom) in the first month while on hormonal birth control. To protect against STIs, a barrier method such as a condom or dental dam should be used as well, since hormonal birth control does not protect against STIs. Ultimately, there are many options when it comes to contraception and protection, so the person should explore what options are best for them in their situation.

Me: Can you name any health benefits (other than being protected against pregnancy) from the pill?

The Expert Sexpert: In addition to the reduction in acne, and menstrual bleeding and cramps mentioned above, hormonal birth control has been linked to other health benefits, such as lowering the risk of colon, uterine or endometrial, and ovarian cancers.

Me: Is the effectiveness of the pill altered when being taken with alcohol?

The Expert Sexpert: The effectiveness of the pill is not altered with alcohol consumption. However, the hormones in the pill can cause the liver to metabolize alcohol slower, which could make intoxication occur sooner and more intense. Additionally, if being drunk causes one to miss taking their pill at their regular time, or alcohol makes the person vomit up the pill after taking it (before 2-3 hours), that could decrease its effectiveness. However, antibiotics and grapefruit can reduce the pill’s effectiveness.

Me: Do you recommend any other contraceptives like condoms, IUD or the patch above the birth control pill?

The Expert Sexpert: It really depends on the person. The various types of birth control have important characteristics that may make them more or less suitable for an individual. For instance, the pill needs to be taken at the same time every day, give or take an hour each way to be most effective. The patch doesn’t usually match skin tones well, so it may not be the most discreet option. IUDs require a small insertion procedure with a physician, but last up to 5 years. The copper IUD may be a good option for people who don’t react well to hormones.  Barrier methods like condoms and dental dams are the only contraceptive option that protects against STIs. They can be used alone, or in addition to any hormonal contraception. All are viable options that may be more or less suitable to a person based on their own preferences.

Me:Are there any reasons you discourage or don’t recommend the pill at the SHRC?

The Expert Sexpert: The SHRC does not provide medical advice, therefore we don’t make recommendations on forms of birth control. Instead we provide information which would allow clients to make an informed decision. However, we do try to ensure that people understand that the pill does not protect against STIs.

Me: How reversible is the birth control pill? For example, are there any long term health effects when trying to have a baby later in life?

The Expert Sexpert: The pills in circulation today are safe for long term use, and should not affect one’s ability to get pregnant after ending hormonal contraception.

Me: How costly is it?

The Expert Sexpert: OHIP doesn’t cover the birth control pill, however many insurance plans cover some to all of it. The Queen’s Student Health plan should cover around 80% of the prescription cost.  Another option is using the KFL&A Public Health birth control dispensary. To use this service the prescription must come from a physician at KFL&A. It costs $10 a month for people under 25, and $20 for those over 25.

Me: Do you think some females feel embarrassed to go on the pill?

The Expert Sexpert: I’m not sure how different people may feel, but going on the pill is not something that one should be embarrassed about. First of all, a lot of people go on the pill for reasons other than preventing pregnancy, so there isn’t a necessary connection that the person taking the pill is having sex. Secondly, if someone is using birth control to prevent pregnancy, then they should feel good that they are making informed choices about their bodies.  Asserting one’s agency over one’s sexuality and sexual health is empowering, and no one should feel ashamed for doing so. As always, our volunteers are available to speak to clients about their specific situations during our hours of operation at the SHRC in the JDUC at Queen’s University.

Me: Do you think there is a negative association with the pill such as guys or girls thinking a girl is a slut or sleeps around a lot?

The Expert Sexpert: While I’m not qualified to comment on the reality or extent of this statement, using birth control and having sex is a personal choice that no one should feel judged about. Sex can be a wonderful part of life, and everyone deserves the right to experience their sexuality as they please, in consensual and safe situations. Birth control allows people to experience sex as they desire, while protecting against potential consequences they do not want to experience. Being safe, and being sexual are not things that warrant shaming.

Me: How would you recommend a female go about going on the pill?

The Expert Sexpert: If a person has decided that the birth control pill is right for them, we suggest they talk to their doctor about the different brands they may want to try. Sometimes the first brand they try is right for them, but other times certain brands may cause unwanted side effects. They may have to try out a few different brands to find the one that works best for them, but that’s okay! Our knowledgeable volunteers are also able to provide information on the different options available. We welcome anyone to visit or call us for more information.

If you still have unanswered questions or would like more information, the Sexual Health Resource center is located in Room 223 of the John Deutsch University Centre, and can be reached at 613-533-2959.

Additional Contact Information for the SHRC:

Website: Ctrl+click or tap to follow link”>shrckingston.org

Facebook:  Ctrl+click or tap to follow link”>facebook.com/shrckingston

Twitter: @shrckingston