Career

The Best Ways to Save Money on Your Halloween Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Halloween is one of my personal favourite times of the year; however, it can be super easy to spend a bunch of money on a Halloween costume that you may never wear again. Here’s some of my best tips to look cute on a budget this Halloween season.

1. Check out thrift stores

Thrift stores often have Halloween costumes still in the original packaging for about half the price. If you want to DIY your costume, they also have a wide variety of items that you can put together for a super good price. During October, most thrift stores also have a ton of different accessories that you can buy for super low prices, and some even have student discount days!

2. Watch makeup tutorials on YouTube

If you have some items that might make up a costume, check out a makeup tutorial on YouTube for whatever you are planning to dress up as. Makeup can go a long way in making your costume look fabulous, and you might already have all the materials you need for your look!

3. Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize

Just like makeup, accessories go a long way. Switching up your accessories while wearing the same outfit can even create a completely different costume. If you already have a black bodysuit & jeans, for instance, you could easily turn that into a cat with cat ears one night, and a vampire with fake blood and fangs another night!

4. Use what you have laying around

Odds are, you already have stuff laying around in your closet that can be turned into an amazing costume, whether it’s a plaid shirt, cut-offs and a cowboy hat for a cowgirl or a leather jacket with ripped jeans and bandana for a biker girl. At the end of the day, Halloween is all about having fun, so simple costumes are just as great!

Eirinn Chisholm

Queen's U '21

My name is Eirinn and I'm 21 years old. Thank you for checking out my writing here on Her Campus :)