Best Dressed: SAG Edition (the ones that kept us believing)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Initially, we doubted that we would be able to wrangle up ten best dressed from the SAG awards. All in all, most of the attendees really left something to be desired. We expected more, Cate. You’re better than that, Julia. These ten, however, gave us reason to keep believing. 

1.  Malin Akerman Naeem Khan

Chelsea: Choosing this dress as my favourite overall was all too easy. I love the intricate design work and cap sleeve. I think the demure hair and make-up makes for a perfect balance. Malin looks stunning overall.

Hana: The moment we saw this dress we knew it had to take the top spot. Among a myriad of very boring, if not outright terrible dresses, Malin Akerman stood out as an absolute star in this intricately beaded dress and bonus points for a Naeem Khan dress who’s fast becoming one of my favourite gown designers. 

2.  Lupita N’yongo in Gucci

Chelsea: Lupita is reigning queen of my heart where red carpets are concerned. She chooses dresses that flatter her form, compliment her colouring and put her on the road to fashion icon status, while still always having something unique about them (ie: a cape or floral detailing). This dress is no exception.

Hana: Lupita has done no wrong in my fashion book this entire season: she’s been pitch-perfect at every event and this is not exception. Her tendency to go for bright, beautiful colours is one of my favourite things about her style. This perfectly flitted teal Gucci sheath is simple done right.

3. Kerry Washington in Prada 

Chelsea: I adore this. I think it’s a delightful spin on the fitted maternity dress theme that has been established for 2014 so far. She looks radiant. The colour of the top and the on-trend design of the skirt work so well on Kerry.

Hana: I was torn on this look for the longest time, but the more I look at it the more I absolutely love it. The pink is absolutely gorgeous and she looks adorable with that headband. It’s was definitely a risk, and I really appreciated that and I think it worked really well on her.

4.  Katrina Bowden Badgley Mischka

Chelsea: Such interesting detailing! It makes it so much more than just a plain black dress. I’m enamored by the fit and the bit of texture.

Hana: I feel like I haven’t seen a Badgley Mischka dress on the red carpet in ages, but I absolutely love this. Powerful shoulders on dresses are one of my favourite things and the gold just pops and was one of my favourite looks of the night.

5.  Betsy Brandt Alice + Olivia

Chelsea: This is the first time Betsy Brandt’s red carpet wear has caught my eye. It’s delightful in that it’s interesting, fits well, is on trend all the while without being too over the top.

Hana: I really love this dress – the colours and design are really interesting and it looks fantastic on her.

6.  Gretchen Mol in J. Mendel

Chelsea: White, mixed textures, beautiful fit, calf-high slit. This dress is nothing but perfection

Hana: Oh Gretchen, I don’t know who you are, but you are working this dress. Everything about is sartorially correct.

7.  Renee Bargh Steven Khalil

Chelsea: It’s all about a red dress. Lace long-sleeves will always work for me. The fitted bodice and the slight train make for a killer combination. Stunning, Renee!

Hana: Red dresses are my favourite and add lace sleeves? I’m sold.

8.  Sarah Paulson in Rochas/Laura Carmichael in Vionnet

Chelsea: The fashion critics of the internet are undecided on if they love or hate this dress. I, for one, absolutely adore it. It’s a very feminine dress, reminiscent of something you wore as a young girl. I love the tiers and the ruffles and her simple, pretty make-up.

Hana: While I don’t have anything against Sarah Paulson’s dress I’m not very enthused about it. I love Laura Carmichael’s gold Vionett here, the interesting cut, the fit, and texture are lovely. Her makeup and simple jeweellery are perfect for the look (that cuff!)

9.  Maria Menounos in Rani Zakhem

Chelsea: Not over the top avant-garde, but it’s interesting, it’s flattering and it’s stunning!

Hana: This dress was lovely! Powder pink done right.

10.  Natalie Dormer in Marios Schwab

Chelsea: Genuinely enjoying the slight risk factor involved here. Not your average red carpet dress but it flatters, it intrigues and it does her well overall!

Hana: Natalie Dormer is such a star in my book and I’m obsessed with this dress. White dresses are always a yes in my book and the arm detail is super interesting and I for one, love it. Also, girl, you are making that hair work for you.

Critics’ Choice 2014 Honourable Mentions

Likewise, the Critics’ Choice Awards were lackluster as far as dresses were concerned. However, we would be remiss not to mention Lupita’s beautiful cut-out Calvin Klein dress, or Margot’s stunning pant suit. In prowling for more dresses to mention, we came up empty-handed. However, we did take notice of some impeccably dressed gentleman in plaid (Hana’s of the opinion that James Marsden and his everything is incredibly underrated), satin (in breaking news Matthew’s still charming) and velour (Pharell was on point). The men really brought their A-game. It’s a shame that a majority of the other attendees left theirs at home.

1.  Lupita N’yongo in Calvin Klein

2.  Margot Robbie in Elie Saab

3.  Matthew McConaughey in Lanvin

4.      James Marsden in Ovadia & Sons

5.  Pharrell Williams in Lanvin

Hana Hasin

Queen's U

HC Queen's U contributor