This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

It’s that time of year again, folks: awards season. The Golden Globes have the tough task of being the first major award ceremony of the year and thus, setting the fashion bar for twelve months’ worth of red carpets to follow. In our humble opinion, the stars of the Globes runway opened very strong. There was such a surplus of stunning looks that it took two of us to narrow the list down to just ten. So, here they are: our top ten looks of the 2014 Golden Globe Awards. 

1.       Lupita Nyong’o in Ralph Lauren

Basically, when I saw Lupita walk out in this, I just felt sorry for everyone else. This what you call a show-stopping dress. The colour, the fit, the structure – it was perfection. I’m dying to see what she pulls out for the Oscars! – Hana

Cape dresses will always be a resounding yes for me. This look is flawless and a wonderful choice for Lupita’s first major Awards show.  – Chelsea

2.       Caitlin Fitzgerald in Emilia Wickham

The night definitely belonged to the newcomers. I love a bit of originality and risky colours on the red carpet, and Caitlin Fitzgerald’s outfit hit all the right notes. – Hana

This dress was a runway favourite of mine and a wonderful pick for Caitlin Fitzgerald. The angled hem, the high collar, the tangerine lip and her effortless hair bring such a refreshing, almost summery vibe to this red carpet. – Chelsea

3.       Emma Watson in Dior

This look was so, so well done. The simple, perfect fit of the dress from the front is lovely enough, and then THE PANTS. It’s fantastic and if you don’t love it like we do you’re wrong, in our not-so humble opinion. Also, Dior, look how well you dressed Emma Watson, why that napkin dress for Jennifer Lawrence?? – Hana

Emma, Dior and a pant/dress combination, oh my! I’m completely enamored by this look. The colour, the shoes, the fit, the slight risk factor, the demure hair, this look is genuinely flawless. – Chelsea

4.       Zoe Saldana in Prabal Gurung

I feel personally offended when I see this dress on the worst-dressed list. How could you?! This Prabal Gurung was different, fun, and gorgeous. The neckline, the mixed materials, the appliqués – it all works fabulously. Conclusion: if you hate it you’re wrong.  – Hana

I second that. If you hate it, you’re wrong. – Chelsea 

5.       Emma Roberts in Lanvin

Look, it’s my opinion that if you’re going to do a black dress, you have to do it well. And Emma Roberts hit it out of the park in this beautiful figure-hugging Lanvin dress and as Chelsea said, this dress is nothings short of being a piece of art. The gorgeous teal earrings she paired with it made the look perfect. – Hana

I would call this dress quiet perfection. It’s not loud or over the top. It’s simple yet stunning. A dress this well-fitting and beautifully structured, with a charming neckline no less, is a true work of art. –Chelsea

[pagebreak]

6.       Michelle Dockery in Oscar de la Renta

While her Alexander Vauthier dress from last year will probably always be in my heart forever, I can’t deny that Michelle looks fabulous in this beautiful detailed Oscar de la Renta. If you want to look like a princess, Oscar’s the one to go to.  – Hana

Oscar always knows best. This is truly a winning pick for Michelle Dockery. The detailing and the shape are so flattering and lovely. – Chelsea

7.       Lizzy Caplan in Emilio Pucci

I’ve loved Lizzy Caplan ever since Mean Girls (Janis, anyone?) and so personally I’m so excited to see Masters of Sex get so much buzz! This dress is structural heaven. It’s different, eye-catching, and makes a fantastic statement. – Hana

Such an interesting pick! There was really nothing else like it on the red carpet that evening. – Chelsea

8.       Cate Blanchett in Armani Privé

I like to refer to Cate Blanchett as Queen Cate in my head because she is consistently on-point. This stunning Privé gown is not an exception – it’s both delicate and fierce at the same time. Things only Queen Cate can accomplish. – Hana

Cate Blanchett can do no wrong for me, fashionably or otherwise. The perfection of this Armani gown is a continuation of her consistently impeccable red carpet game of the last decade. – Chelsea

9.       Drew Barrymore in Monique Lhuiller

Drew Barrymore looks ethereal in this absolutely lovely Monique Lhuiller flower applique dress – she is the definition of glowing. How can people put this loveliness in the worst-dressed list? Judging you all. – Hana

Drew Barrymore is the definition of a “hot mama.” This dress is flattering in every way. – Chelsea 

10.   Diane Keaton in Ralph Lauren

This suit was tailored perfection and so quintessentially Diane Keaton. What’s not to love? And how much do I love that she didn’t wear a skinny? So much. – Hana

Diane Keaton: kindly stepping in to remind you that she is now, and forever, the reigning queen of the pant suit. – Chelsea 

Hana Hasin

Queen's U

HC Queen's U contributor