This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Sometimes, as a single person, it seems like everyone around you has a significant other. Everyone has someone. It can be hard not to feel alone, but at the same time, you might not want to jump into a relationship right now. It can feel like there’s a lot of pressure to find someone immediately, so here are a few little reminders about why it’s not so important to worry about finding someone right this minute.

1) You Are Your Own Person

No matter your relationship status, you will always be an individual with your own needs, interests, and values. Being single does not in any way detract from your worth as a person—you are loved and important whether you have a significant other or not. There is no reason for you to get into a relationship that you’re not ready for or just don’t want! You are always free to make your own choices.

2) You’re Young (Probably!)

Chances are, if you’re in university, you’re still pretty young. And being young means that there shouldn’t be any pressure to find someone to be in a relationship with right away. However, that doesn’t mean that there isn’t any. Just remember that you’ve got your whole life ahead of you and no one can tell you that you’re running out of time. You are entitled to take as much time as you need to find someone, but only if you want to!

3) Friendship Often Comes First

This can mean two different things: friendship is often the precursor to a good relationship, and cultivating friendships can be your priority instead of finding a significant other. There is nothing wrong with using your time at university to make friends instead of significant others. That’s not to say you can’t do both, but if you want to focus more time on your relationships with your friends and forego a serious relationship for now, there’s no reason you can’t do that!

4) You’re On Your Own Journey

One of the most important things to remember is that you’re living your own life and no one else’s. You do not, under any circumstances, need to feel obligated to find someone to share that with if you don’t want to. Even if someone is interested in you as a significant other, it’s not your job to please them. Just keep living life as your truest, most authentic self! You have your own problems to sort through right now, and adding a serious relationship to the mix might not feel right to you, and that’s okay! Everyone has their own path to take!

Shaelyn Ryan is a first year student at Queen's University, and is a fiction writer, having completed and self published two novels. She would love to answer questions and comments about her articles, writing, or anything at all at sjryan1900@gmail.com!