This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

To be an empath is to feel deeply. To absorb the energies and feelings of others and take them on as your own. To concern yourself with the emotional states of everyone around you to an extent where you sometimes can’t even comprehend the condition of your own wellbeing.

Empathy is everywhere because everyone is capable of being empathetic. Understanding and sharing in the feelings of others is how we form human connections and pursue commonalities. It’s the foundation of healing and is a necessary part of developing relationships. 

To be an empath, though, is so much more. Not only do you extend your heart when others are in need, but you also inexplicably feel other people’s happiness or sadness. You are a sponge, soaking up everything surrounding you. It can be fulfilling and eye opening, but it can also be disorienting and overwhelming to never be sure whether your own emotions really are your own or whether they are someone else’s. 

You are sensitive, intuitive, understanding, creative, compassionate and focused on what lies beneath the surface. At the same time, you may also feel overwhelmed, exhausted, guarded, socially anxious, and helpless in the knowledge that sometimes you just can’t help everyone (let alone yourself). 

If you have ever felt physically ill from arguments, or even the thought of an argument, you might be an empath. If you are easily drained from being around others and need time alone to recharge, you might be an empath. If you tend to socially isolate yourself as a defense mechanism, you might be an empath. If you have vivid gut feelings about who someone is on the inside upon first meeting them, you might be an empath. 

Many empaths share in the struggle of balancing staying true to themselves while not completely closing themselves off from others. Although introverts are not necessarily empaths, most empaths are introverts. It’s important to understand the difference, especially if you believe you might be both. I can’t speak on the experiences of everyone who believes they are an empath. I can, however, share in the vulnerability of empaths: it’s normal to become distanced when you feel like you’re constantly in tune with others.  It’s both a struggle and a gift, but staying grounded and checking in with yourself and your emotions regularly are good ways to begin healing and thriving as an empath.

Eden Plater

Queen's U '21

Eden is a third year English student at Queen's University. She loves dogs, diving into a good book, and listening to music your parents would probably like.
HC Queen's U contributor