Avoiding Burnout During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

It is here, the time of the year that we all dread: finals. They have been looming overhead since we have walked into class on the first day back in September, and especially when we have glanced at the syllabus with the dreaded words “final exam. Date TBD”. The anxiety, the heart palpitations and then the ultimate decision to ignore the existence of finals until they are staring you right in the face, haunting your dreams at night and seeping into your sanity.

Let’s face it, finals are the worst. They bring unnecessary anxiety, late nights, if not all-nighters, and either a lack of eating or binge eating. Forget about a social life; for a month that does not exist. And what is a night of uninterrupted sleep?

It is the prime burnout time. Your body hates you and decides it wants to shut down. You are not giving it the TLC that it needs.

Well, we have put together some tips for avoiding the burnout while you survive this exam season.

1. Get your Z’s

It is science, your body needs a minimum of 6 hours of sleep each night. Sure, you can function for a day or two on minimal sleep, but in the long-term, all this is going to do is kill your immune system.

2. Get your nutrients

Make sure you eat properly, your body will need the nutrients to stay healthy and functioning to the best of its ability.

3. Treat yourself

Take a break and eat that cookie that has been calling your name. We are  not saying go eat an entire tub of ice cream, because that might have the opposite effect. But allow yourself that sugar. It is Christmas season for goodness sake.

4. Schedule your time

Depending on your organizational skills, this is going to look different for everyone. If you are the kind of person who needs your entire day planned, then take the time to sit down and schedule your week of studying, and include your sleep schedule and social commitments. If you are the type of person who likes to fly by the seat of your pants, this might not be the best plan of attack given the distractions from the land of Instagram and memes. Sit down, write a daily list of what you would like to accomplish and do your best to avoid the land of Instagram.

5. Focus

When sitting down to do your work, actually focus on what you are doing. Set yourself timelines for how long you need to work before taking a break. For example, tell yourself that you cannot stop for 20 minutes and then give yourself a 5 minute break. Chances are you will get immersed in what you are doing and work for a lot longer than twenty minutes. This eliminates procrastination and frees up time later.

6. Allow yourself some downtime

You have permission to watch an episode of your favourite show, or a movie. You are welcome.

7. Surround yourself with positivity

It is easy to get down on yourself when you are stressed. Surround yourself with a big pillow of positivity. Positive people, positive music, positive podcasts, warm and fuzzy movies, or a giant “YOU CAN DO IT” reminder on your phone. We believe in you.

8. Celebrate every time you achieve a goal

Break into a happy dance in the middle of the library. We won’t judge you.

9. Do not skip important social events

It’s not worth it. Five years from now are you going to remember that exciting night of studying or your work Christmas party? This comes back to scheduling. Schedule it in.

10. Don’t get down on yourself.

For anything! Like binge watching Netflix, or eating a tub of ice cream. Or not doing as well on that exam as you’d hope. May the curve be ever in your favour.

11. Make time for yourself

This is going to look different for everyone. Make time for your hobbies. This might be going to the gym, baking, writing a blog/ in your journal. Whatever it may be, allow yourself the time to do it each day.

12. Keep the end goal in mind

Remember why you are putting yourself through this semi self inflicted torture. This boils down to why you started in the first place.

13. Be Realistic

Be honest with yourself. Push yourself and achieve to the best of your ability.

14. PARTAAAY!

Exams are done!! Party like it’s 1985 … or in your Christmas onesie.

Jana Lee Morris

Carleton '17

Jana is a Canadian native who ventured overseas and landed in the United Kingdom after graduation. Having achieved a degree in Visual Arts and English, she seeks to pass her passions onto the next generation; teaching in an English school. She is passionate about empowering individuals, has a deep love for food, and can often be found in her natural habitat in the classroom teaching, or in the gym training for powerlifting. On weekends and breaks, you can find her travelling and exploring new cultures, probably with local cusine in hand. Most of all, Jana is passionate about leanring, and ensuring everyone has the opportunity to learn - including herself. Soon, you will see her entering her eighth year of school to finally obtain a master's degree; four degrees later. If you want to follow along, you can find her on Instagram @janaleemorris_