8 Ways to Make Your University Room Feel Like Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Let’s face it: many university student houses can be in dilapidated, gross housing conditions filled with old and beat-up furniture (especially in the Queen’s University District). However, your student house is where you will be living for a few fun years, so here are some tips to make it feel more like home:

1. Buy Plants

Having a few plants is an inexpensive and simple way to add some life and greenery to your space; it’s always fun to add some forest vibes to a room. As an added bonus, you will feel a sense of accomplishment for successfully keeping another life form alive!

2. Hang a tapestry

Tapestries can add a nice vibe to any room and they’re a great way to cover beat-up walls that are covered in holes. There are so many options available and they can make your room feel really cozy.

3. Light candles

Candles are not only good for covering any weird odours in your room, bu they will also make your room smell great and convey a nice homey feel. Candles are an easy way to add ambiance to your room and are great for relaxation.

4. Print pictures

It is simple to get your favourite pictures printed out; you can either print them yourself or have them printed cheaply at a store. It is a nice way to display your memories while adding a unique decoration to a room.

5. Invest in good lighting

Personally, I hate bright lights, and I find that most ceiling lights in houses give off really harsh and depressing lighting. It’s very worthwhile to invest in lighting that you find pleasant. I personally recommend having a couple of table lights, as well as fairy lights on the wall.

6. Get comfy pillows and blankets

I have seven pillows, and while that may be excessive, my bed is extremely comfy because of it – and I highly recommend getting some for yourself!

7. Invest in a diffuser

Diffusers emit water vapour and diffused essential oils. They act as humidifiers and smell great while unleashing the benefits of the oils that you use. Although they can be a bit pricey, they are definitely worth the investment.

8. Buy a rug

If you have a cold or hard floor, buying a fluffy rug will improve your life significantly. It will make your first steps out of bed in the morning infinitely more pleasant and make sure you start your day off on the right foot.

I hope you appreciate my suggestions to make your university room a personal sanctuary. Enjoy your home away from home!

Katie Thomas

Queen's U '19

21, Canada